CTA3 - rearranging sequences

Posted By DaveGayman 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
DaveGayman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Scenario:
Project has 3 sequences in this order (1) personified prop walking up to door; (2) prop inside with action; (3) prop goes out, gets into car.
Is there a way to re-order sequences in the project, sort of like:
(1) prop gets into car (was seq. 3) 
(2) prop inside with action (remains seq. 2)
(3) prop walks up to door (was seq. 1)

Or, should I have just begun with 3 projects?
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
This is animations so which software (CTA3,iClone) we use doesn't really matter is my guess.

Yes my tendency is to create separate projects where the sequences vary.
One reason I do that in iClone is if I decide I need to make adjustments to animations I have already done somewhere in the center of the project then that can badly effect the animations in the entire project especially after where I make the changes. Having them as separate projects means I can adjust any one of them and have no effect on the rest.
Some other things I find helpful by doing this is changing the length of one of the sequences. Having them as separate projects means I don't need to readjust the positioning of the sequences after the one I lengthened/shortened. I may even decide to get rid of a sequence entirely as I progress with my project and having each sequence as separate projects makes that easy.
There are many other benefits I find doing it like that

Exactly where to separate sequences into separate projects? Well that's entirely a personal preference. I find where major camera changes occur is one good place
I don't use CTA3 much, although I have been considering a lot of getting into it soon and I am sure I would do similar.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
6 Years Ago by Delerna
DaveGayman
DaveGayman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)Veteran Member (591 reputation)

Thanks again Delema...
I am now wiser. (And contemplating how to re-create 2 days of work in 6 hours...)

Dave
Edited
6 Years Ago by DaveGayman
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
...contemplating how to re-create 2 days of work in 6 hours...

Take your project and save it as three (3) separate projects.
Then edit each one, deleting what you don't need for each "scene".
Add keys at the beginning of a "scene" before deleting any prior animation so that you capture the character position correctly.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

DaveGayman
DaveGayman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Very promising, Jeff, and thanks greatly once again!
Do I have to set a key in every line under each prop - for example, transform motion, opacity, visibility, etc.?

Asking because I have so many props that the latest ones are difficult to even open in the timeline, even with the timeline undocked and on my second monitor.

Dave
Edited
6 Years Ago by DaveGayman
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Unfortunately yes as there is not a function to add a key to every type of track with one click that I know of.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

DaveGayman
DaveGayman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks again, Jeff. I have less of a chore ahead of me thanks to your input. Think I'll concoct a a checksheet of some sort so I don't miss anything. 
DaveGayman
DaveGayman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Works beautifully, except for one quirk:.
Despite clicking on the Visible track, I'm unable to set a keyframe point on that track before deleting / isolating a range of frames into a new project.
However, it's moot because I began to use Visible, preferring 0-100 and 100-0 opacities to effect fade ins and outs. Still, it would be nice to know where - or how - Visible/Invisible is effected directly on the timeline.
DaveGayman
DaveGayman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Anyone coming to this thread because they want to re-arrange sequences...
If you carve sequences out of a Project that contains a sequence or sequences that you want to extract...
Do what Jeff said in the 4th post and make N copies of your original Project and carve things out of those sibling Projects, where N = number of sequences you are extracting.

That's a naturally prudent way of making sure you don't accidentally blow away your original Project.
:{ I failed to fully understand Jeff's workflow and, very mistakenly working from the original and trying to remember to Save As the new extracts, I lost the original Project by forgetting a Save As....

Reading This Topic