Posted By Kelleytoons 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

If you have ANY DAZ avatar, clothing or hair that doesn't work

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I'm just about out the door for my wife's PT after which we are going to do some shopping in Orlando but I should be back this afternoon and I'll take a look at it then (so in another five or six hours).

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)

Okay, played with this and the fur is INCREDIBLY detailed -- it will crash CC3 (as it should -- it's a bit like fibermesh, which I strongly recommend not using).

To get it in (if you want to try) export the fur (and fur only -- hide the body) as an OBJ and bring in as an accessory on the figure.  I crashed CC3 several times but finally managed to get it in (I couldn't even get Decimator to work on the fur prior).

As a very general rule there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.  We don't have fur in CC3/iClone for good reason.  The best you can do is fake it with normals/displacement/roughness maps.

Alienware Aurora R7, Win 10, i7-8700k, 4.7GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX Titan XP (12GB), Samsung 960 Pro 2TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Grumpsalot
Grumpsalot
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks Kelley,

That's the biggest problem with these type of meshes. I have a fairly old but beefy computer set up and even just bringing in something as small as Thorns beard will produce a noticeable lag in CC3. The gorilla hair suit I made was workable in Poser but barely. Maybe fbx to Zbrush to use the decimator there? I made the gorilla suit years ago and never got around to even trying decimation. Yup. Fibermesh is a pain to work with. Definitely not animation friendly or even single shot friendly. 

Motherboard-Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU-I7-3930k@3.2 Ghz (overclocked-4.5
Ram-64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU-2 1080 GTX in SLI

Grumpsalot
Grumpsalot
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)Senior Member (276 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
wow Boaris is truly a "hot mess" with that hair. Until recently I did all my Zbrush figure work through Poser. (The new owners took over my ancient poser installation denying my old serial number in the middle of a few days of Zbrush work. Looking at my old gamer name you can imagine my reaction. BigGrin ) Anyway I managed to get the GoZ for Studio installed. I loaded up Boris which looks to have a lighter mesh than that werewolf and sent the fur to Zbrush to decimate and it errored.  I tried the 2 options on the GoZ in different combinations and I got an import! The fur went to Zbrush as a brick. Seeing what you went through to get it in CC3 crashes included....(above and beyond effort) I am just going to toss the Boaris and Werewolf hairs and take a stab at making my own. 

In that major sale they had at Daz I wound up with another figure called the Lycan which came as part of their buy Tristan and get another package free sale etc. The other package was the Landon pro. The Lycan figure itself is an improvement on Boaris or the werewolf both in texture and hair. The hair came in as cloth and is much lighter. No lag at all in CC3. (came out of that sale with a ton of sets some for under a dollar) I am going to see if the Lycan hair bricks on me but I doubt it. Also I see no need to make hair for the sections of the characters that will be clothed. 

"No such thing as free lunch" holds true with CC3 just as surely as it did for years of  Zbrush, Poser, Vue lol  I have never found a perfect program but there is a benefit to imperfection. Trying to find workarounds and learning through trial and error keeps me from going senile BigGrin

anyway I hope you had a hangover free New years and ty for your effort Smile

Motherboard-Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU-I7-3930k@3.2 Ghz (overclocked-4.5
Ram-64 gigs Kingston Hyper Beast
GPU-2 1080 GTX in SLI

Edited
Last Month by Grumpsalot
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm not sure I've tried the Lycan hair option (definitely brought the figure in on its own) but maybe I'll do it someday just to see.

I never mind trying these things out -- I usually learn something from it.  Not having good fur choices is a definite drawback, and it doesn't look like iClone 8 will solve that problem.  But I guess you can't have everything (because if you did, where would you put it?).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
lundon
lundon
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)

Hey Mike, do you happen to know if the 3D Universe Toon Generations characters can be successfully imported into iClone, (presumably using 3DX)?
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you are talking about Toon Generations 2 (based on Gen 3 characters -- so a *bit* confusing) they will come in via Transformer just fine.
https://www.daz3d.com/toon-generations-2-essentials-for-genesis-3

The current "Toon Generations" is based on the Gen 8 figure:
https://www.daz3d.com/toon-generations-essentials-for-genesis-8-males

Again, they come in via Transformer and work just fine.

You could try the earlier generations but I wouldn't recommend them (stick with CC3 compatible and you can then use all the clothing and accessories just fine).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Haratio
Haratio
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)Junior Member (189 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I purchased hair from Daz recently, and it will import the Daz 8 female character with the Scalp Hair, but the actual hair shape wont come over to either Blender or CC3 as an fbx. I haven't tried it as an obj.
Any ideas, or could I reach you on SKYPE so I could share my screen and you might be able to figure it out.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

What specific hair?  (A link to the Daz page would be helpful).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
AncientWire
AncientWire
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)

Hi Mike.
Thank you for all of the information you have shared that has made DAZ to Reallusion so much easier.
I am having a problem with Cutie Hair   https://www.daz3d.com/cutie-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females
It wants to come in as cloth.  If I let it, part of the mesh at the bottom of the tails shoots out to the outside.  In the image below, the left tail is shooting off to the left, I smoothed out the right tail to see what would happen.  If I have Transformer import as hair, the bottom of the tails looks correct.
If I have Transformer import as Hair, or if I import as cloth and convert to hair, or change to accessory and then to hair, Transfer Skin Weights links the long pony tails to her back, waist, pelvis, etc, even one time to her calf and her eyes.
I thought, no problem, I will just erase the skin weights and all will be fine.
Well, I couldn't erase all of the skin weights for each bone.  I just couldn't get in to all of the nooks and crannies of the weight map for each of the 20 or so bones it was mapped to.  I went through about 4 hours of trying to do that (ok, I was really bored!) and the mesh would shoot off into different directions, then move back, and do all kinds of crazy stuff. 
So two questions.  Can this hair work?  And is there a way to just clear the weight map for a bone?  I had a dress with problems as well, and I think just clearing the weight map that is incorrect would help.
I gave the Cutie Hair some pretty decent hair physics weight maps, but the stretching because of the skin weights makes it unuseable. 
Thanks for all your help!
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f532fe26-79fa-4341-bc4b-c8a9.png

Reading This Topic