Profile Picture

Step by step tutorials to export to Unity correctly?

Posted By lollosone 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lollosone
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am evaluating CC3; and so far it is not going very well.

My first 2 exports hasn't been very successful; I get no textures in Unity when importing the FBX file. On top of that, I don't have a clear idea about what to do to even set up correctly a figure in the application.

All your demos are showing effortless import of assets; and LOD creation; but in reality, things are anything but effortless.
Starting from the LOD creation: the demo show output that is working fine, because the figure has a helm and no transparent parts; which means that the issue related to the fact that LOD fuse the meshes in a single one; is mitigated; but if you try to export any character that has hair, you will see that it is impossible to get good results using 1 material; while you need multiple materials as output. Same if you want to change clothes on the figure; which is not even an option at this point; unless you can set the LOD output to give the option about which meshes to merge and at which detail level.

I did spend some time to get this done right; but had no luck; I really like your software but if it does not work for Unity; I have no way to use it; and as such; I am afraid I can't upgrade the demo to full version.

I hope this is just due to the fact that I am lacking the info necessary to operate your application with Unity; because my understanding is that your main advertisement point is the export to 3d engines for game characters pipeline. Would be bizarre to sell a product that is aimed at creation of characters; and end up not being able to export to 3d engines; without heavy postprocessing.
If I can do the same with DAZ studio for free, I would expect CC3 to help me make more in less time and with less hassle; since it is a paid app. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Kareeem
Kareeem
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Hey there,
maybe you find something interesting in this thread.
Although it doesnt touch on the issue with the transparency. One thing you could do - if you want to change clothes on LODs - is to ignore the LOD function and build your own LODs using the Mesh reduction of the wearables. Then you could export a naked body with the LOD function and put everything together in Unity again. Wich is of course a time consuming task. Also the Texture export in the Demo video is not what CC3 is actually delivering. The Textures are named weird and you have to again put effort in collecting and assigning all the right textures. Right now the process is flawed but possible. I managed to get good results in Unity.

lollosone
lollosone
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Kareeem (11/8/2018)
Hey there,
maybe you find something interesting in this thread.
Although it doesnt touch on the issue with the transparency. One thing you could do - if you want to change clothes on LODs - is to ignore the LOD function and build your own LODs using the Mesh reduction of the wearables. Then you could export a naked body with the LOD function and put everything together in Unity again. Wich is of course a time consuming task. Also the Texture export in the Demo video is not what CC3 is actually delivering. The Textures are named weird and you have to again put effort in collecting and assigning all the right textures. Right now the process is flawed but possible. I managed to get good results in Unity.

Hi, Excellent post you have!

I did notice that most of the issue are actually coming from 2 problems: none of the exported figures have the actual color and normal maps (and this is not just in unity; they are not in the exported folder at all), and the second issue is the fact that the mesh are merged when you create LOD; which you already touched in your feedback submission (I did vote for it BTW).

So at this point I am on the fence, about how useful CC3 is for my Unity workflow; until it get fixed, I can't use it for production projects. This means I am stuck with Daz Studio, until CC3 solve the exporting issues; because spend 200 USD and have to do a lot of work between applications, is not ideal Sad I already do a ton of work to adapt DAZ figures from DS exported FBX to Unity; so I am looking for a way to actually make the workflow better, and not more of a burden.

Will keep an eye on your post; I just wish someone from REallusion would actually make a video about how to get around the current limitations of the app; they would get my 200 ready to go in their pockets; if they can make it work for my workflow.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
We do have some detailed CC3 to Unity tutorials coming towards the end of the month or early December. These should help those who are having problems.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

lollosone
lollosone
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Looking forward to the new tutorials, Peter. Hopefully my trial will still be active to try it out.

What about the lack of color and bump map when exporting from CC with the Unity profile? Is that a known bug (since I saw others reporting it on the forum, I would assume so), and will be fixed soon?
joseph.dalessandro
joseph.dalessandro
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
WOW!  This is really embarrassing for Reallusion!  How can you release a piece of software with such hype around it's feature of exporting to Game Engines and then not deliver on that??? What a letdown and disappointment for Unity game engine game developers. I really hope they fix this soon and address all issues related to exporting to Unity, importing into Unity, lip syncing, phonemes, teeth not moving with blendshapes, textures, materials, etc.  And create some real step by step tutorials and documentation for the Unity workflow.
lollosone
lollosone
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

joseph.dalessandro (11/13/2018)
WOW!  This is really embarrassing for Reallusion!  How can you release a piece of software with such hype around it's feature of exporting to Game Engines and then not deliver on that??? What a letdown and disappointment for Unity game engine game developers. I really hope they fix this soon and address all issues related to exporting to Unity, importing into Unity, lip syncing, phonemes, teeth not moving with blendshapes, textures, materials, etc.  And create some real step by step tutorials and documentation for the Unity workflow.

I assume that their market is not Unity users? Smile I am not familiar neither with Reallusion nor with their other products; but at first glance, feels like CC3 is more of an extension to their pipeline for their other applications, more than a viable way to make gaming characters for Unity.
As someone that live and die in Unity, because that's my job; I hope that CC3 will become some sort of viable alternative to character creation; something that can do what Fuse was not able to achieve, for Unity users.

Also I can confirm that there is no way to export to Unity at the moment with the right textures; not sure if the profile for Unity is broken or what; but none of the textures for color and normals come in when exporting for Unity.
joseph.dalessandro
joseph.dalessandro
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)Junior Member (232 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I couldn't agree more with your comments!  Unity is my job as well and I too, was disappointed with Fuse and also Morph3D... Daz's try at this, but I must say that Morph3D works better than all of these in terms of it's Unity integration.
I was able to get the textures to export out of CC3 and get them into Unity.  The trick is to uncheck the "embed textures" checkbox in the FBX export window.  It will then export all the color, normal, etc. maps.  But having to do that is very counter intuitive and took me several hours of experimenting and researching online to discover.

Reading This Topic