Profile Picture

Upcoming 2018 iPad Pro - Face Cam Capable like iPhone X?

Posted By TonyDPrime 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Upcoming 2018 iPad Pro - Face Cam Capable like iPhone X?

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I've talked about this on the forum many times now, but perhaps you weren't interested back then <g>.

Face Live is far superior to Facegen, IMHO.  They aren't even in the same league.  Facegen has one big advantage -- you can use image sequences.  I don't want to underplay this, because folks with remote talent can only do this with Facegen.  But for everything else, Face Live is the way to go.  Remember, I own both (not just "tested" them) and I haven't used Facegen since the first week I had Live Face (when I compared the two).  Trust me, if I could do it all over again I'd have saved the 1.5k or so and not gotten Facegen.

And rather than talk about it, just watch my videos (or even my tests -- they are all on the channel).  It pretty well says all there is to say, really.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
By FaceGen you mean Faceware, right?
I get them all confused.  FaceLift, FaceOff, Face from the A-Team...

Okay, so you like FaceLive better? 
Well, then it MUST be good!
...because pleasing you otherwise seems near impossible! 
Laugh
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

LOL -- well, I AM particular <g>.

I get Facegen the facial generator software, mixed up with the Faceware for iClone (then again, up until recently, I got Face Live mixed up as well -- I used to like calling it Faceshift since that was what it used to be before Apple bought it).

In any case, yes, the iPhone one versus the Webcam one <g>.  I have both and the iPhone one works great and I doubt I'll use the other one except on those VERY rare occasions I need to use an image sequence (I can't imagine it yet but it might happen -- if only I could do Face Live remotely).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Okay, thanks for the reference to your comparison vids.  I believe I watched them all now.
To be honest, I think myself the verdict is still out, I didn't really get from your videos a superior performance of one vs the other.
In my opinion they all looked very good.  The range on Faceware seemed in your vids more loose and relaxed, the Live Face seemed tighter and more precise.

I would indeed like to try both myself.
...You know, because I am always animating so much...

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The problem with Faceware is not limited to the results -- you need to control lighting precisely (not a concern at all with the infrared 3D camera on the iPhone) and calibration is a PITA (I am ALWAYS calibrating because it drifts all the time -- again, not even a consideration for the iPhone).  It's not nearly as portable (you're always wired).  And, of course, it's around $500 more (if you now consider the iPhone XR).

But by all means try both -- everyone needs to make up their own mind.  Mine is already made up.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (11/8/2018)
The problem with Faceware is not limited to the results -- you need to control lighting precisely (not a concern at all with the infrared 3D camera on the iPhone) and calibration is a PITA (I am ALWAYS calibrating because it drifts all the time -- again, not even a consideration for the iPhone).  It's not nearly as portable (you're always wired).  And, of course, it's around $500 more (if you now consider the iPhone XR).

But by all means try both -- everyone needs to make up their own mind.  Mine is already made up.

Oh okay, so the set up time itself is more of  hassle....
Yeah, this is something of a nuisance that if were avoidable, I could see that would be quite advantageous.  
Gotcha.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Someone here mentioned another disadvantage which I had completely forgotten about (because I wanted to erase it from my memory) -- you can't transfer the Faceware license from one computer to another (nor run it on more than one computer).  

Oh you CAN transfer it, but it will take a month and many emails (and let's hope they don't go on vacation... or out of business).  It was VERY frustrating to me when I upgraded my PC.  The Faceware software is a PITA.  Live Face, OTOH, will run on more than one machine just like iClone, and you can easily transfer the license.  So you can have it on your laptop AND your desktop, which is invaluable at times.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Another advantage if you go with the Live Face paradigm, you can use iPhone X with CTA3.
The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
It would be interesting if there is a performance difference between iPhoneX<>iPhoneXR<>iPad Pro.
Ex will one of the models perform better in sending the data via wifi?
Is there lag spikes when capturing?

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The-any-Key (11/8/2018)
It would be interesting if there is a performance difference between iPhoneX<>iPhoneXR<>iPad Pro.
Ex will one of the models perform better in sending the data via wifi?
Is there lag spikes when capturing?

Actually, KT - 
Do you know how Faceware has the optimal settings with resolution and FPS...does Live Face have similar settings to play with, or is it just a straight connection?
I don't recall seeing anything in the setup videos.  On that note, is it easier to configure, in your opinion (IYO)?  

Reading This Topic