Profile Picture

Upcoming 2018 iPad Pro - Face Cam Capable like iPhone X?

Posted By TonyDPrime 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Upcoming 2018 iPad Pro - Face Cam Capable like iPhone X?

Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
Just want to see if anyone knows if the face features with iPhone X for iClone and CTA3 will be accessible with the new iPad Pro coming out in a few weeks.
Thanks!
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
We really need Peter to comment on this.

And while he's at it, the MUCH more important question: is the new iPhone XR going to be compatible?  (At $750 it becomes by far the cheapest solution).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Agreed...I'm holding out on a new phone for an answer to this. Looks like great tech though.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

It IS wonderful -- I love Face Live with my iPhone X.  I do want a secondary capture device, though, so I can do two people at the same time.  Not in a big hurry, but if someone put a gun to my head today the XR looks to be the best way to go (and it could be my wife's new phone).  For me, however, I'll also end up with a new iPad Pro next year so there's also that.

We just need to hear from Peter officially on all this.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 42 minutes ago
I was reading about the XR, and as far as I could make out it has an LCD screen instead of an OLED screen, which would easily explain the price difference. It has somewhat better battery life also. As the verdict is still out on OLEDs, I would choose LCD any day.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
TonyDPrime (11/5/2018)
Just want to see if anyone knows if the face features with iPhone X for iClone and CTA3 will be accessible with the new iPad Pro coming out in a few weeks.
Thanks!

Any Apple device that features the Face ID TrueDepth Camera will be capable of supporting Live Face. However the current app for iPhones isn't yet fully compatible with the iPad Pro's (but will run in iPhone mode) so we may need to update the app for the different screen size and resolution. I will confirm this and update again when I know the plans.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
6 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, Peter -- I know this will help a lot of folks out (and drive some more sales for RL :>Wink.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Okay, so here is what we know:

iPhone X  - compatible

iPhone XR - compatible

iPad Pro 2018 - unknown (waiting on confirmation of whether current iPhone app version will work on iPad  Pro 2018, or whether new RL LIVE FACE app for iPad Pro 2018 will be necessary)

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Tony,

There's almost no exception to the iPhone apps that run on the iPad Pro.  So what Peter said means that the iPad Pro WILL run the Face Live app.

Running an iPhone app in the iPad means you need to run it in Zoom mode.  I've done this -- it isn't pretty but it works.  Just think of zooming in with no anti-aliasing.  But I can't imagine this will make any difference to the app itself, which is looking at the face through the 3D Camera.  However, it would be MUCH nicer to have the app recompiled specifically for the iPad resolution, so I'm sure that's what they are looking at.

Having used Face Live for quite some time now, I have to admit the lure of using an iPad with it is almost non-existent, particularly when the iPhone XR is $250 cheaper.  I guess what it comes down to is that if you already have a PHONE you are dead set on using and not switching, but don't have an iPad (and thus would like one to do other things) then the iPad Pro becomes an attractive way to go despite the higher price tag (as I said, next year I will definitely be getting one, but our family already has two iPads, two iPhones, Macs, Homepods, Apple watch and we don't even care for Apple versus PC <g>Wink.  But using a phone instead of a tablet is MUCH better for a portable face capture (I'm working today on my attempt at doing this).  So there's that.  I'm almost positive I'll get the XR and either switch my iPhone X with my wife or let her have the new one, because that way when I get my second capture suit we'll have two portable solutions.  But I'll also have the iPad :>Wink.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

KT-
Can you relay what your experiences have been with iPhone X for iClone? 
I know you have tried Faceware and iPhoneX...:
Or, do you notice any differences with CC3 avatars at all...
Discuss

Reading This Topic