HOW TO MAKE A MOVIE { Octane 4 Plug! }

Posted By 3d guy1 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I think we ALL want to make better movies. I think each of us has different ideas of what that entails. There isn't a lot of discussion about individual clips and their successes and failures in storytelling -- and maybe there should be. Kindly and constructively of course. Unfortunately, storytelling comes largely from our own minds, and as such, we can't really beg for ourselves to be feature-upgraded. But our storytelling tool is iclone. As a commercial product, we should expect it to grow and change and improve. I think the forums give us a place to give our input on the direction of those changes.
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
"But what those options WILL do, much like the recent 
addition of the CC3 pipeline, is increase the user base 
substantially. "

Not sure I would Completely agree with that assertion.
First the tools of CC3 Pipeline IMHO seem to be primarily targeting Game developers
 (who presumably wont be rendering in Iclone anyway)and users of Daz content who want a much easier way to leverage
their Massive Daz content libraries Iclone.

The OP's apparent fixation on having Octane 4 as an internal renderer in Iclone is his personal preference,
other people may want Arnold or Vray RT or Corona etc.

Besides Reallusion is already adding a new render engine in the form of the Brute force, unidirectional path tracer
from $$$NVIDIA $$$and  sorry but ...no it wont be anywhere near "realtime".

IMHO The people who want the animation tools of Iclone but 
have no interest in creating final renders in Iclone
are already using 3Dxchange Pipeline AND DOING THE WORK required to export  scenes to other programs
where they have access to many render engines including a Free Octane version in the Free Unity.

I get it ..
It would be nice to be able to sit in the familiar& comfortable  environment of Iclone and have a "Hi end " photorealistic render engine and a perhaps the forth coming expanded API /python options will make this a reality.

So, in my view, peoples options are quite clear. 

Step out of your comfort Zone ,
Invest in 3DX export pipeline and DO THE WORK
required to export to other programs Like Wildstar and Illusionlab etc

Or wait patiently for 
some talented third party programmer to create a direct  internal Octane bridge
with the new expanded API/Python options at some unknown, future date.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by AutoDidact
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Well of-course there's already 'bucket-loads' of work to do for the one-man show, so I personally don't see anything wrong with trying for a 'complete' solution within iClone - there's no medals handed out for using multiple programs. I guess really though - it's mostly a matter of what you feel comfortable with.
If you're comfortable with (read: 'comfortably prepared') to use multiple programs - great! You'd be mad not to ..... But likewise, if you're more comfortable with the single program approach - great too! And in any case, we can all change out approach down the track anyway .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Exactly, sonic7! This doesn't need to be an either/or proposition.
To address the assertion that CC3 is aimed at gamedev -- I think that is partially true. Reallusion has identified a key market (Daz content hoarders, of which I am one lol), and delivered a product that acts as an output for game devs, and an input for Dazaholics who want to render real-time animation. I do not think they are necessarily the same person because I believe most Daz content has been purchased without extended licenses. I believe that people who purchase extended licenses are likely already using a full-featured game development tool.
Either way, the initial poster is correct in that Octane 4 is a great rendering engine. There are LOTS of great rendering engines, however, and I think the key to future success for RL as a company will be in making iclone as extensible as possible. CC3 is a canny business move, and it has provided me with a great new tool for making movies.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Jarret  >>>> " ... I think the key to future success for RL as a company will be in making iclone as extensible as possible. CC3 is a canny business move, and it has provided me with a great new tool for making movies ..." <<<<
I do agree with this ... and I *hope* that Reallusion will do everything in their power to "speed tune" the upcoming iClone iRay. Let's get the indie film-makers up and running - There's potentially a large market that could follow and if it isn't possible with iRay, then  - "whatever it takes" - by way of a realistic renderer would be most welcome ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
3d guy1
3d guy1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Another thing about rendering realism VS _____________.  

How come some models in the RL store are rendered in UNITY,  not Iclone?  The demo pics were UNITY.

I didn't catch that before I bought one set - but had to quickly return it.    The Iclone renders were no where near the UNITY   render quality. 
Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
If we're thinking about the same stuff, those artists made the items for Unity first and then just used the same promotional material for the Iclone page.
For the stuff I bought, GI can get you close enough though not exactly as good. Takes a bit more effort in Iclone but usually worth it (and possible) cause of the PBR textures.

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I have commented on this in the past, and I think that 3rd Party developers that sell in the Content Store and are among the "Elite Developers" should be obligated to spend some time with iClone and render out their products.

There is a bit more to making an item suitable for iClone than exporting an FBX and converting in 3DXchange.

I have learned my lesson and require that a product has at least PBR textures. But rendering in iClone should be mandatory in all circumstances.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Not that there seems to be much point given the previous tone of some of this discussion, but I would like to debunk a misconception that those that want to stay within iClone DON'T WANT TO DO THE WORK.  Using something other than the native renderer always involves additional skill and effort to get lighting and shaders right, etc. I believe we part ways here and just have to agree to disagree. But I refuse to be put in a lower-class category just because my pipeline is not half a mile long. That is not the basis for a fruitful discussion.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

The people who wish to stay within Iclone should stay within Iclone
 If they are happy with the native render they should use it
If they willing to be patient with longer IRay renders in 2019 they will definitely have that option
from RL  but  suffer no delusions.
 Reallusion is getting the exact same IRay that Daz users have.
It is the same loss leader product that NVIDIA doles out to foment hardware sales.
It wont be a fast as Octane no matter how much "Optimizing" RL does.
in fact I see no technical reason it would be any faster than the CC3 version
However now there is the possibility of even more internal render option Via the expanded API/python option
in the future...someday. 
Reallusion has made some very wise strategic Decision of late
(Excluding IRay IMHO)
I know of no other 3D Character Company,(outside of Autodesk) that has given its users so many
options for people who wish to stay within Iclone and those of us who  choose to do the work of building
Custom external pipelines with progams that we already owned
or with free programs easily obtained(Unity ,Unreal ,Blender).

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Reading This Topic