Product license & activation in case of HD formatting

Posted By RobertoColombo 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello,

I wish to know what should I do in terms of product license & activation if I need to re-format my HD where Windows 10 and the SW are stored.
Because something happened on my PC and now it is way too slow, so I shall go trough a full clean re-install, Windows 10 included.
Shall I do anything special online, like de-activating teh license and then register it again after I have re-installed Windows 10 ?
Or can I just format the HD, re-install Windows, and afterwards re-install RL products ?

Thanks for the advises
Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
6 Years Ago by RobertoColombo
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
If your PC is still functioning, you should uninstall your RL software products, while connected to the internet. This will free up a "seat". Once you are up and running again, you can reinstall the RL products, which will reuse the vacated seat and be registered. You can check the Registration section of your member page to verify that you have successfully "unregistered" your PC. 

As far as your content goes, it is easiest to copy everything to an external drive and then copy it back. If your content is already on a separate drive (hopefully) then you don't have to do anything in that area. The exception is the base content (Resource and Bonus packs) as it will be uninstalled when you uninstall your RL product. I usually reinstall those in a case like that.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Thanks Job.
I will do as you say.
Now I am collecting the answers form other SW vendors for the SW and plug-ins that i have installed and then i will re-install everything.
My PC got messed up a day when AVG Tune-up (which I actually never installed on purpose, but got installed together with AVG anti-virus) decided to defrag the HD, without even asking (ot r if it did, it was subtle because I would have never done something so silly).
After it finished I found that it made a huge mess of everything Sad
Everything became super-slow, kind of jumping back to Intel 286 times... DozeBlink
I checked online and found reports of other people who had the same bad experience.
Luckily I have the back-up but even formatting the data partitions and copying things back did not help.
So, yesterday, after Vegas pro was not even able to play 2 secs of audio file without stuttering, I decided to go for the only solution: clean everything and re-install everything.

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

Edited
mark
mark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I feel your pain! Hope all goes well Roberto!!!Wink

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Mark,

yeah... not such a huge issue: i am working on back-up data on an external HD, which is now faster (via USB!) than the internal & messed-up one! BigGrinLaugh (I laugh to not cry...)
Of course this has completely stopped my activity on iClone... as soon as I had done a reformatting and re-installed everything i will go on with my project.
That's the reason I could not be very helpful with testing IC 7.3 and CC3 after they came out... more or less the same day my PC was spoiled by AVG Tune Up.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:

mark
mark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
...and as we all know, a "backup" is always a good thing!!!BigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Absolutely Mark!

But what happened goes beyond my level of understanding: because the first thing I did was to format the HD partitions where the data files are stored (SW and OS are stored on a separate SSD) and then copying everything back.
But it is still slow... it is like AVG tune-up created some kind of fragmented tables also in the SSD area (I did not see whether the defrag run on the SSD as well, but I am afraid it did).
Here I can't progress so much: no idea about what to do and how Windows effectively "sees" the file system.
So, final decision: whole system reformatting... or buying a new PC with a GTX1080TI ? TongueWink

My PC:

Edited
theschemer
theschemer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Make sure you do a secure erase if you are going to reinstall.

https://www.disk-partition.com/help/ssd-secure-erase.html
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks.
I will carefully check what to do in order to have everything really cleaned up before I start with the re-installation phase.

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

theschemer (11/3/2018)
Make sure you do a secure erase if you are going to reinstall.
https://www.disk-partition.com/help/ssd-secure-erase.html

For sake of completion, here is the answer from AOMEI to the question whether their tool support the low-level erasing of SSD (Samsung EVO 850 in my case) :

"We apologize that SSD Secure Erase Wizard feature is only available in Windows 7 as "ATA Secure Erase" command is disabled by Microsoft since the release of Windows 10"

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:

Edited

Reading This Topic