Profile Picture

How to create a window with text on glass in iClone 6!

Posted By alfhak 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
alfhak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
How do you make text on glass in a window. I know how to make a window with wood and separate glass panes in GIMP.
I wish to put text on glass but don't know how to do it!
Any tip or link to site there I can get help how to do it,
would be greatful!
Thanks!

Alf K
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I'm sleepy but I bet this Gimp tutorial will show you how:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Basically, what I gather from a 2 second skim of the video is for you to just use a transparent background, your text, whatever dirt on the surface of the glass and your text, save as a .png with alpha channel, and you should be set. Use a dirty kind of texture for the roughness map and set it so there isn't much contrast, I think that woud make it have a glass surface, fiddle with it to get the reflection and opacity etc right.
Again, I'm sleepy I hope that makes sense. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

alfhak
alfhak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Thanks for the link!

I think I manage to do it! In the clip the text is transparent but I want the text in black, visual instead
on the windows glass!

Alf
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 minutes ago
I played a bit, and this is what I came up with to get black text on glass. Simulating glass itself is tricky in iClone, as it is difficult to get proper reflections and to get light to shine through the glass. If there is too much opacity it will not work.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2b21c3e4-1243-4cbb-a135-f3f5.jpg

The material settings show what I did (using PBR). The Base color is black. For the Opacity map the text is white (light is blocked) and the rest is dark grey [31,31,31]. With these settings the light goes through the window and the text casts a shadow. I tried adding reflection but that makes the text on the glass less sharp. 

I changed the Roughness and Metallic settings as well (to make the glass more shiny) but that didn't have much effect. In stead of using PBR, some have suggested to use the traditional shader for glass. This allows you to add a reflection map, which gives quite a nice effect.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

alfhak
alfhak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the tip!

Yesterday I played around with GIMP and it was much easier, then I thought! I begin with start a new image and then
add a new transparent layer. Delete the background layer and then just type in the text on the transparent layer!
Saved it as a tga file. In Iclone i create a new prim and then put the tga file on it! The text was not in correct position but
after some changes in Material under modify panel and UV settings, offset and tiling I could get it in a good place!
Only one thing in iClone is I got the texture on all sides of the prim, but I only want it on one side! Don't know hot to fix
that!

Alf
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
For so long we've been asking for the full support of png 24 in Blend channel. I suppose there is an FT ticket somewhere.
Here's I have added a transparent png image with a text into blend channel to get a full reflection of the transparent glass (sort of coating):

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/db522951-72a9-4d41-a956-3124.jpg

But as soon as it hits a dark background it becomes a mess. Rough blend between opaque text and transparency in png kills the effect:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/49d853aa-b895-43eb-9409-69ba.jpg

It is possible to have a fully transparent png in Blend channel. But I had a hard time to have a text to retain blackness:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/25c413d9-55fb-4664-bf27-7683.jpg

And of course you can always use a second plane, which would give more flexibility and control over the text.

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
alfhak
alfhak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have big problem just to get the text on the glass in correct position!
If I want the window to be about 4x3 in Iclone I try to do the image in same
proportion in GIMP but the text get totally in wrong position so I have to play around with
Tiling and Offset in UV settings under Material in Modify panel! No frame on the glass here and
just a wall prim the window in front of! I am totally lost just get the text in good position and also
don't know how to get rid of the text on the other side of the window prim!

Alf

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2c19742b-dd0e-4576-8800-f4de.jpg
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
One thing you can do it to open up the "UV Reference" and put that on a semi-transparent layer in GIMP to help place your text.  Just remember to turn that layer off when saving your image.

It doesn't replace a "3D painting" application like 3D Coat or Substance Painter, but it can help.

Hopefully these pictures point you in the right direction.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b05c631-dfe5-4dd6-9f8c-40fe.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8cd2d79f-6297-4eff-83c6-954a.jpg

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
alfhak
alfhak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks!

First I did not understand at all what to do but after some thinking and error, I got it right!
Here is my window now and also understand what you mean!
Here is the result and many thanks!
Alf

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9e850ada-a875-44dc-a1b6-4e84.jpg

Reading This Topic