Maxing out video cards

Posted By jkwenstad 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jkwenstad
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I installed iray demo version for Character Creator 3 and running 1x 1080 TI and 1x 1070 gtx cards in my box.  The problem that I'm having is that it seems to taxing my cards even when I am not rendering.  Within minutes of launching the program, my fans spin up to full speed without actually rendering.  I don't think this is normal.  I use Substance Painter on a regular basis that uses iray as well...  It never uses the gpu until I pop into the render preview mode.  Another thing is that it feels like Substance uses the plug in much more efficiently and renders much faster.

Anyhow, I've tried to disable the plug-in with now luck.  Is it possible to uninstall Iray from reallusion's hub program?

Thanks
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
In Windows>Settings>Apps & Features you can uninstall the Iray Plugin in the same way as any other software.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 minutes ago
What you are experiencing is not normal (shouldn't be, I think). In the Iray hardware settings, you can disable use of the GPUs. See if that makes a difference.

However, I just started up Character Creator 3 and I noticed that GPU usage goes to 100% when the application is in focus, even without engaging Iray. So I wonder if that's what you are seeing.

EDIT: You can use a tool like GPU-Z to monitor the usage of your cards. CC uses only one card, so your other card should be "free".

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic
jkwenstad
jkwenstad
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I will try and uninstall iray demo and see if it goes crazy on my gpu's.  In any case, is it normal for CC3 to run the gpu's 100%?  Or is that a bug...  seems to me that the program shouldn't max out a 1080 ti.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I have complained about "GPU load while doing nothing" for a long, long time.
https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/If-apply-the-Default-project-including-relective-object-without-any-action-GPU-Load-will-reach-60

Some people try to defend it, but I've never gotten a decent response from Reallusion.  More recently, I had a good technical conversatin with a "real" game developer who works on the technical aspects of gaming engines, and once he took a closer look at what I was talking about, he agreed with me that this behavior is abnormal and is the result of (in his words) "lazy programming."

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic