Profile Picture

Import CC3 FBX character Exported From Blender Not Working?

Posted By Delerna 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Import CC3 FBX character Exported From Blender Not Working?

Author
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Lately I have been working on building a few scenes using Sketchup/Blender/3DXchange/iClone so I haven't made anything using CC3 until this weekend. Been working on modifying a horror character I am working on in Blender but I cant load its FBX file back into CC3. I have also been working on some facial hair and clothes without modifying the body and I get the same error when loading them into CC3.

Anyway, here is the problem I am having
1st point, so far I have done exporting/importing FBX characters files the same as I used to do it with CC2 which always worked although CC2 didn't seem to reload the characters textures so I'm thinking that's why I never got this error I am getting now.

2nd point, I (don't think?) this is a problem with CC3 because I exported an FBX file of the Neutral base character from CC3 and then I Installed that FBX file back into CC3 and it loaded in fine. 

3rd Point, Then I loaded that FBX file into Blender and did nothing but export the character back out as an FBX file. I then tried loading 
that FBX file exported from Blender back into CC3 and I get this error which I think is stating that the textures are missing
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5fbf236a-e978-4e4e-8369-f9bf.png

I am wondering if its because when I loaded the FBX file exported from CC3 into blender it is not loading the textures because I cant set blender to display them, the character just shows up as white when I select texture or black when I select material or rendered.
Still investigating what I am doing wrong with this but any suggestions I will appreciate. In my memory I seem to remember Rampa discussing in a post on how to get the textures to load back into CC2. Can't remember where it is so i'm off to see if I can find it but think that's going to be hard to find. Any suggestions? Help...….pleaaaase.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
First the usual suspects -- you DID turn off the leaf bones, correct?

I'll try what you did myself and see what I can think of.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Yes. Exported the same as I used to which includes that.
I actually think its something I am not setting correct when I import the FBX file that is loosing the textures. My heads getting too old LOL.

I just found this and thinking maybe I should update my Blender too because it sounds a bit similar to the problem I am having?
Mine is version 2.78

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Crap -- how the heck do you get an FBXKey from CC3?  It obviously doesn't work as CC2 did.

Edit: Ah, I see, it gets generated automagically.  Okay, just did what you did and it worked fine, Mr. D.  So I'm guessing you forgot to undo the leaf bones when you exported from Blender (because all was well, even including the skin textures, although we lost bump and roughness as I expected.  You can reload those, of course).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oops, cross-posted. 

I'm using Blender 2.79b -- have been for like forever (seems years now).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

And when you import make sure you turn off the rotation in FBX (it's the last checkbox on the FBX screen in Blender).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Heading to work, 
When I import FBX I have always just used the default settings because it was fine for the work I did with CC2. 
I will try your suggestion with rotation when I get home tonight. If that doesn't work I will be updating Blender.
Thank you for you suggestions and help

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
Check your material names in Blender. It's surprisingly easy to get them named with a number after them. That will cause the material error.
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Rampa.
Oh Boy I hope that's what the problem is. It means all I will need to do on the work I have already done is rename the materials and not have to redo all the characters model adjustments I did.
Trouble is I don't use material abilities of iClone. I just use it to make/adjust models and UV map them. I do the texturing elsewhere.
So I am going to have to look into finding what your talking about. I have some basic thoughts where I need to look but not sure yet. I shall be checking it out though...….....come on google

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
You can see very quickly in the Outliner. That is the equivalent of the Scene Manager in iClone.

Double click a name in it to change it.

I used to run into that material issue all the time. What fixed it is to NEVER import a new base and create a new character without first restarting Blender. It does not clear out the materials from your previous session if you just start a new project. So the new materials being imported on your new character get a number tacked onto them.

Reading This Topic