hair wind

Posted By lvanvalk 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lvanvalk
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm trying to use the hottest hairstyle layered bob and it has a built in wind that is messing up my indoor scene. I have changed all of the wind settings to zero including the gust frequency but the wind still blows and then leaves the hair a stringy mess. Very frustrating. I have tried the other hairstyles from that set they also have the same problem. I can't even use the long wavy hair because it looks like a stringy mess even before the wind blows. I'm getting frustrated, I keep buying all of this extra stuff that I can't even use. My other two character have the
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Are you sure it's a wind problem?

The hair will move crazily if, for example, it intersects with clothing (or even the collision shape of the head).  Try this -- on a naked character put the hair, and make sure the collision shapes on that character are turned off.  Turn to "By Frame" (instead of Real Time).  Now see if the hair then misbehaves.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jose_55
jose_55
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Try this, from the scene select the avatar's hair, then open the modify panel, select the physics button on the top of the modify menu,
then click the weight map button, you'll see gradient map, reduce the brightness about 50% to see if that is related to what you are experiencing.
lvanvalk
lvanvalk
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Turning off collision for the head fixed my problem perfectly. Thank you!
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Yeah, that does happen.  If you need to have collision on (say the hair passes through the avatar's head) you can edit the head collision shape and just make it smaller.  So that's another skill you might want to learn because it will come in handy at some point.  But at least now you have an understanding of the problem and so can diagnose it yourself the next time.

There's a lot to all of this (I never stop learning -- and my brain is full :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic