Profile Picture

Hardware capable of IRAY in 60 seconds or less?

Posted By VirtualMedia 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
VirtualMedia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
With IC7 with IRAY implementation around the corner, does anyone have suggestions or advice on a workstation that would render decent IRAY videos at 60 seconds or less per frame?

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Just some thoughts, rather than a straight answer.

Having played with Iray a bit, one thing that is important is to have at least two GPUs and have one being available solely for Iray. I haven't done extensive comparisons, but my impression is that preview is slower than batch with one card because the GPU is shared. Iray and similar renderers such as Octane can use multiple GPUs.

Here is an article about  that that I came across today: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-OTOY-OctaneRender-192/Hardware-Recommendations. It talks about Octane. but the same goes for Iray..

You also want a card with a lot of VRAM, so something like a GTX 1080 ti. Unfortunately, these are still quite expensive, even with the newer GTX 20xx series now available.

That said, it is hard to give a simple answer, as rendering also depends on the scene. I'm hardly an Iray expert, but from what I've read using Iray materials helps a lot. Also, having many emissive light sources slows things down.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week

You can limit the render time to 60 seconds, but will you accept the quality?  You will need to assess if you need 100 iterations or 3,000 iterations to achieve the quality you want.

The number of lights (as Animagic pointed out), number of polygons, and image resolution all affect the render times.

Iray does scale well with multiple graphics cards, so two GPUs will be nearly twice as fast as one.

Bottom line, based mostly on guessing and experience with Iray in CC3 and Substance Painter, a 60-second render time is a very ambitious goal for my GTX 1080, at least for any scene worth rendering.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Edited due to a failure of logic and use of terminology at 4:00 am..

Thanks Animagic and JAV, had so many things going on inside and outside this summer I've had little time to research.

Had a decent workstation back in the day, with a Quadro card installed,  rampa schooled me on that.. Blush It currently runs like a blind 2 legged dog while rendering with IRAY in DS or previews in CC.  Never considered background IRAY renders for pushing some GPU cycles in the mix and thanks for the suggestions on multiple GPU's and VRAM.

Speculating.. Nvidia will drop some driver updates to improve IRAY renders for the
2080's before RL implements further IRAY enhancements. Another reason I think RL is on the right track with this.

---------------------------------

Any suggestions on a ASUS ROG or MSI system that could render 30 second HQ videos of stylized characters with low poly toon hair in
IRAY that's feasible without filing bankruptcy or the wife filing for divorce? Whistling

Thanks for the effort and expertise..

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
Edited
6 Years Ago by VirtualMedia
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Well I think we have to wait until iClone comes out. The big question is how efficient the pipeline is to get multiple frames rendered as there is load time and render time.

It's a good thread to keep alive though.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Just My opinion, 
Without access to a $$render farm$$,To render animation of any length or scene complexity
with IRay is  Fools gambit.

Have you seen any animated footage in IRay in any of the Official reallusion videos since the release of CC3??
if so please share a link.

RL has much better looking base figures now and the ability to morph them as is done in Daz studio or poser.
lets be honest, in the general Area of Prefabbed  human figure programs, we animated film makers are still quite the minority.

Most of the Daz/Poser users are still image makers.
CC3 appears to be RL's attempt to be a central Character creation hub for All of the major Prefab human figure markets
and IMHO RL has made a brilliant move  with this effort from a strategic planning point of view.

Around the first week of November Renderosity.com will announce the formation of a strategic partnership with Reallusion in which all of the Reallusion software will be sold in the Renderosity marketplace.

I have been invited to participate in a webinar by one of the renderosity marketplace coordinators on or around November 1st
to Discuss  the benefit of CC3  to poser users who have been long callously ignored by Smith Micro.

Renderosity is about to switch its focus from a Dying Poser application to  the innovative suite of Reallusion Character products.
There will likely be a similar partnership with Hivewire.com (if there is not already)

Again, smart strategic planning by Reallusion as it puts IRay in the hands of poser users in CC3
which supports the Daz millenium 4 Figure that most poser users still 
use, And most of those people only render stills.. not animation. 

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by AutoDidact
Lamias
Lamias
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

It saddens me that RL seems to be oriented more towards stills and games and less towards animation, as it used to be.

Is it the end of an era?

My YouTube Channel
Phoenix   Wink

3d guy1
3d guy1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Renderosity is about to switch its focus from a Dying Poser application to  the innovative suite of Reallusion Character products.

Makes sensebut surprising, since you don't see much iclone there in the past.

I would welcome Rendo artists,  to create Iclone assets,  for sale in the Rendo store.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Lamias (10/22/2018)
It saddens me that RL seems to be oriented more towards stills and games and less towards animation, as it used to be.

Is it the end of an era?

I don't see it that way.

It looks like they are trying to GROW their customer base, and it sounds like it might be working.  Hopefully that gives them more resources (money) to do more great things across the entire product line.  Even this most recent iClone patch, which was mainly for CC3 compatibility, included a number of surprise fixes and enhancements, so iClone is not being ignored even in the midst of all the CC3 excitement.  I think that bodes well for the future of iClone and animation.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

akuei2
akuei2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Erm ..... IMHO, 60sec per frame quite challenging for any non high-end graphic card  work with iray plugin. Therefore, some user hope RL bring Octane render engine inside IC7 to fix that. If this became true, that will be 3rd nightmare after indigo & iray plugin. I'm had no confident about it.
Just hope RL don't give up their native render engine. VGXI 2.0 is release some time,  flicking problem already fix.

(I'm still waiting SSS in native render engine)
Edited
6 Years Ago by akuei2

Reading This Topic