Profile Picture

Unity, Cry, or Unreal for external rendering?

Posted By eternityblue 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Unity, Cry, or Unreal for external rendering?

Author
eternityblue
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I'm considering learning a game engine to use for rendering animation, and I was wondering what users here preferred and why. I have installed all three in the past, Cry I dived deepest into but I was definitely no pro, so I have no big investment in any of the engines yet. 

What I'm really looking for is ease of use, compatibility with iClone exports, and a community of filmmakers that have figured all the details out and can offer guidance.Thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Excellent ..... I too would be interested in this (like you say - a straight forward 'easy' approach) ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

akuei2
akuei2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Hi, Unity are recommend. Easy & straight forward to learning,  visual quality against to UE4 without problem.
( Otherwise, you can achieve satisfy result by paid or free stuff  aid ). Free stuff done by Unity team powerful and friendly to use.
I you are interesting in film making, some one free stuff call cinemachine( camera system) will catching your eye.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/affdf8b0-fd54-4ae2-8d26-28f5.jpg

Here a scene quality, I can achieve after learning unity 7 hours.
Edited
6 Years Ago by akuei2
3d guy1
3d guy1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I can't find solid info on the unity assets.

Can the paid models in the Unity store be used in Films,  and/ or music videos?     Link to a license statement that confirms it?
How about the free unity models?

thanks

3d guy1
3d guy1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Here a scene quality, I can achieve after learning unity 7 hours.

I like the geometry,  but sorry,  I dont like that render.
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
With Unity, what do you need to buy? I mean, to render videos and whatnot? Same goes for Unreal. What I'd really love to see would be a package by either that is set up with terrains, environments, and all the settings you need specific to animation. I know the engines are free, but what does all the necessary nickel and dimes amount to? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 39 minutes ago
Hi 
First and foremost any discussion about rendering your Iclone animated avatars in external environments is predicated upon the assumption that everyone involved,in the discussion,  has the pipeline version of Iclone with 
full export capabilities.

Second for those looking for a "straight forward" way to render your exported iclone people in external render engines, I am not sure what  "straight forward"means to you.

That said, I can tell you that you will need to have more than a beginners 
knowledge of the external rendering application as well as the various advantages&limitations of your chosen export method from iclone pipeline.

You only have two methods for animated characters , FBX or Alembic(.obj can be use for static props).

Now I render in both lightwave 3D & Maxon Cinema4D,however I 
imagine most here are looking to use a free solution like unity or unreal.

I have zero experience with Unreal thus have no comment on it

I have Unity 2018 installed and have experimented with bringing in FBX exported Daz people into Unity.

For unity I recommend getting the free "cinemachine" procedural camera system that was used in the much talked about "Adam " Seriesas well as the free timeline asset and the free  post processing stack.

Adam was made with both FBX ,for the robots, and Alembic for the 
humans & cloth simulation so if you plan to export any Iclone cloth physics or spring effects you will need the free Alembic importer for unity.

You will have to then educate yourself on how to use the camera 
lighting,timeline, materials shading and rendering system of Unity or Unreal or whatever to prepare your virtual sets to receive your pre animated people from  Iclone because everything you know about working in iclone becomes irrelevant when you leave the Iclone environment.

Develop your own personal multi-application filmmaking pipeline.Just as I have done with my Iclone/Daz-MDD/C4D pipeline and My icloneAlembic/Lightwave 2015 pipeline.
or Wildstar has done with his  Iclone to Unity pipeline.

This can be a daunting task for those who have trouble acquiring new skills
in an autodidactic fashion.

For me it is well worth the effort  obviously.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by AutoDidact
akuei2
akuei2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

AutoDidact (10/18/2018)
Hi 
First and foremost any discussion about rendering your Iclone animated avatars in external environments is predicated upon the assumption that everyone involved,in the discussion,  has the pipeline version of Iclone with 

Second for those looking for a "straight forward" way to render your exported iclone people in external render engines, I am not sure what  "straight forward"means to you.

That said, I can tell you that you will need to have more than a beginners 
knowledge of the external rendering application as well as the various advantages&limitations of your chosen export method from iclone pipeline.

You only have two methods for animated characters , FBX or Alembic(.obj can be use for static props).

Now I render in both lightwave 3D & Maxon Cinema4D,however I 
imagine most here are looking to use a free solution like unity or unreal.

I have Unity 2018 installed and have experimented with bringing in FBX exported Daz people into Unity.

For unity I recommend getting the free "cinemachine" procedural camera system that was used in the much talked about "Adam " Seriesas well as the free timeline asset and the free  post processing stack.

Adam was made with both FBX ,for the robots, and Alembic for the 
humans & cloth simulation so if you plan to export any Iclone cloth physics or spring effects you will need the free Alembic importer for unity.

You will have to then educate yourself on how to use the camera 
lighting,timeline, materials shading and rendering system of Unity or Unreal or whatever to prepare your virtual sets to receive your pre animated people from  Iclone because everything you know about working in iclone becomes irrelevant when you leave the Iclone environment.

Develop your own personal multi-application filmmaking pipeline.Just as I have done with my Iclone/Daz-MDD/C4D pipeline and My icloneAlembic/Lightwave 2015 pipeline.
or Wildstar has done with his  Iclone to Unity pipeline.

This can be a daunting task for those who have trouble acquiring new skills
in an autodidactic fashion.

For me it is well worth the effort  obviously.

Nice to see you again comment at here, very appreciate about experience sharing. 
As a AutoDidact said, if everyone seeking a pipeline method, make sure you had a clearly define on your target.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@AutoDidact,

FBX versus Alembic.

I did a crude "animation test" when Alembic export was first available as an export option from iClone (I took it to Blender).  Does Alembic support textures, or do you need to move them all manually?  I think my test was "mesh-only" of a dancing character, with no textures.  I'm not certain if that was a "first release limitation," a limitation of the Alembic format, or just lack of knowledge on my part.

It is my understanding that FBX will contain *most* of the textures you need, but not all.  From reading the CC3 threads, I think two textures are not included (sorry I don't remember specifically which ones), but maybe that's only when going to a specific game engine.

Can you share some insight on that?  If you have to move textures manually, it could be a large chore.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
3d guy1
3d guy1
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AutoDidact 

assumption that everyone involved,in the discussion,  has the pipeline version of Iclone with 

yes have it

Now I render in both lightwave 3D

I own lightwave and octane.  BUT..............  I found importing DAZ into LW a nightmare.
Daz figures have up to hundreds of textures.  These all needed to be re-linked in Octane.
Too much work.    Would something like texture master solve this problem?

How about iclone figures to LW  >  Octane?

Ive seen some UNREAL VS UNITY render comparisons where UNREAL comes out on top.

How many textures?

Develop your own personal multi-application filmmaking pipeline

I think people are hoping for an "easy " tutorial

thanks

Reading This Topic