Need a Mentor

Posted By rightdecis 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rightdecis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am making a full-length feature film with IClone 7. I want it to be the best as possible. So I was wondering if there are any experts on here who would be willing to mentor me in making the film as I go along? I could show you the videos and get your feedback on what needs to be fixed and I'll fix it.

I have the curve editor for instance but I don't much know how to use it. And the video tutorials make it look easier than I am finding it.         

I make my dreams into movies.

wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You asked the same question yesterday in this thread and an answer was posted.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
rightdecis: Smile

My first iclone movie was a 2 minute 'Pinhead' ad for a competition that Alley and others were hosting.
It took a couple of weeks to make it as I knew practically nothing about iclone or how to make an animated story. 
The first tutorial I remember watching was "The Dingy Room" tute by Mark Pleasant. It's about creating a room
complete with lighting etc. I would venture it would be a great tutorial to start with. No better tutor than Mark and his
video will have you experimenting with basic lighting. BigGrin You can view it here: 
https://youtu.be/J0GQXwKXvMc

From there I just experimented until I got better. My next vid was 9 minutes. My videos now go about 20 to 30 minutes and
take me, with voices, music, sfx, and a perfectionist personality, about 2 years to finish. Remember you have to do EVERYTHING
on your movie yourself.(producers hat) You make many of the sets and props (construction hat), you have to write the story (writers hat),
you have to teach the actors how to walk and talk (acting coach hat), you may have to make clothing (seamstress hat), you have to
block and shoot the scene (directors hat), you have to actually shoot the scene (cameramans hat) and you have to put it all together in
the editing room (editors hat) and get it seen. ( distributors hat). So a very long video can be both time-consuming and taxing. You'll soon
realize that those BIG GUYS in Hollywood have it easy. Tongue

I just wanted to give you an idea as to why it's good to start small and work your way up to a 'full-length' project. I'm looking forward to
seeing the stories you bring to the screen, I'm sure they'll be interesting. Good luck, we're here to help, just ask the forum and you'll get
all the help you need.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Edited
6 Years Ago by Peter Blood
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
In an effort to minimize the duplicate thread, I'm moving my original reply into this thread...

You can get a lot of advice right here on the forum, and I would not be surprised if a few people would be willing to work off-line (such as via email) with you.

FIRST:
A "feature length" film is a MASSIVE undertaking.  What is the longest iClone video you have produced so far?  How many months are you willing to dedicate to this new project?

SECOND:
Be sure you have a rock-solid script.  I'd be willing to give it a private review, so if you're interested you can PM me.

THIRD:
Practice some specific skills on 30-second sample projects.  You mentioned the Curve Editor.  Also good lip sync (viseme) is both skill and art.  Lighting.  Etc.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Continuing my comments about a "full-length feature film" being a MASSIVE UNDERTAKING (reinforced by Peter Blood)...

With a script in hand, there is the ability to use it for more than just story-telling.  You can use it as a budgeting and planning tool.
a) Count up the sets and locations you need,  This affects "budget" as much in an animated story as in a real-world movie production.  Each location is a set you need to create, and fill with props, and eventually you need to light it correctly.
b) Also consider the number of characters.  They will need wardrobe.  Do they have wardrobe changes throughout the movie?
c) Special effects budget - both visual and sound.

So walk through the script (or even the "story" in your head if you don't have a formal script yet) and start counting, and then be honest if it is a project you can "afford."  Will you be able to complete it?  How much stuff will you create, how much will you buy, and how many new skills will you need to learn?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic