Profile Picture

Does Normal Map actually make bumps on the face, or does it just add 2D texture?

Posted By magiccak 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Does Normal Map actually make bumps on the face, or does it just add...

Author
magiccak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I have applied some, but I can't really say. The bumps are really small or there aren't any.. Thanks
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
a) How did you make them?
b) Try to make a grotesquely obvious "bump" and see if that shows up
c) Can you share some pictures?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

magiccak
magiccak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)Veteran Member (730 reputation)

This is before and after. I'm only using 2D model of a "beard" and eyebrows I've made normal map out of them and replaced them with the brows and skin in the original map so the whole face isn't bumpy. Are these actual bumps or is it only flat texture? Again, both "Bump" and "Base Color" layer were used and modified. See images below...https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/72b38079-b536-4b65-a81c-c65c.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c697c61-61df-4f7c-8910-e5b2.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cb4c5f6a-fd6c-4f66-a7b1-ebb2.png
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'm not very good with Character Creator.  I was hoping my question, and your reply, would help inspire someone else to come and provide a useful answer for you.

For "stubble" I assume it would just be a 2D thing you'd actually "paint" on the skin, like pores and pimples and wrinkles, but I haven't personally done it so I have to good advice or tips, only guesses.

A longer beard, I assume, would done like hair.  Hair is done with "ribbons" that are painted with hair textures and a very important application of "opacity" (transparency) to make it look like strands of hair rather than flat ribbons.

Sorry I can't be much more help.  Someone else, please?

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Normal maps are an optical illusion. What you want to use instead is an Displacement map, which will actually move the mesh up or down. It is often used in conjunction with a normal map, because the mesh itself may not be able to represent intricate details.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sorry if I don't remember (it's a bit early and I just got back from the gym) but are you the guy who's trying to 3D print something?

If so then, no, a bump map is only a visual "trick" to fool the eye into thinking there is depth.  It won't print or adjust the mesh in any way.  To deform the mesh physically you will have to apply a morph of some sort.  I'm not sure but there may be morphs folks have made to do this but I kind of doubt it.  For one thing there really isn't any real advantage to doing this in the work we normally do with these programs.  Whether you are designing games, animating in iClone, or even making gloriously detailed stills, you actually want to stay away from detailing in the mesh.  Doing it with maps (the illusion of such details) is always MUCH better in terms of computer processing.

My guess is that if you really need this stuff you will have to do it yourself -- so you'll need to learn modeling, which isn't easy but it can be very fun.  Search the web and see what you can find.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
magiccak
magiccak
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

@animagic
Thank you my man, I have just used my Normal Map as a "Displacement", moved the "strength slider" a bit down and it's done. Nearly exactly how I wanted it to be. Perfect. Thanks a lot!

@Kelleytoons
Yes, I'm the guy BigGrin This software really is amazing, I just need to orientate myself in it. Still, thanks for tips, but I don't gravitate to modeling due to it's complexity. I've actually tried ZBrush, but I didn't really enjoy it... You actually reminded me that I should go to the gym too and not only sit and play with this new "toy" of mine BigGrin

Thank you both guys & have a nice day! 
danielswright2311_182877
danielswright2311_182877
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)Veteran Member (688 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Normal maps are a effect to look like there are bumps on the face, it does not add any extra real detail to the mesh. We use to call them bump maps till direct x got all tech on us all.

Check out my new Bible Forums

Reading This Topic