DAZ3D to CC3 to iC7.3 to Blender 2.8 eevee

Posted By illusionLAB 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
A little test of a "pipeline" I'm working on.  The girl is a DAZ3D model converted with Character Creator 3.  The body animation is Mixamo and the face was furhter animated in iClone before exporting as Alembic file (Blender 2.8 isn't finished, so only ABC and DAE files are importable at present).  Built the 'look' rather quickly (after the labour of remapping all the materials onto the Alembic model) and rendered in eevee with everything active... SSS, DOF, Bloom and Volumetric lighting.  There are some weak spots - shadows and colour fringing from the SSS (which could be part 'alpha version' and part my inexperience with the toolset) but overall I'm very impressed!  Especially as the final render took about 3.5sec per frame (8 minutes for the 6 second animation) on a 1070ti GPU.

Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
my blender 2.8 will take fbx right from iclone
(downloaded on oct 2nd) <-- new builds daily

all motion and textures come in
ofc the textures need conversion to principled bsdf though.

issues:
hair and eyelashes have no opacity (daz2cc3) by default

textures do not show up right  away, but eventually they load.

clicking on fbx too many times on import will crash blender
click twice or use import button, (this takes time to load, so be patient)

the animation can bug out and not play/stutter on first few frames,  saving and restarting blender  will fix that.

using "look at" on your avatar in iclone will bug the eyes in blender.

importing a iclone camera will cause flickering in all view modes
havent found any "fix" for that yet other than not using it.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Kipster
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Yeah, if you don't download the latest build every other day it's easy to miss new features/improvements.  I think I'll keep experimenting with ABC files... may make more sense in the long run.  In the clip I made you will have noticed the shadow cast by the spinning egg appears 'hard edged' when it moves across the girl... I've adjusted the 'softness' and size of the area light which only results in a different hard edge - any tips?  I have a feeling it's to do with a specific "combination"... like enabling SSS or something (it's not that ;-)  Also, I'm not sure at what stage, but the characters textures started looking individually shaded which makes for slight differences where the map edges meet.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Also, I'm not sure at what stage, but the characters textures started looking individually shaded which makes for slight differences where the map edges meet.                               

Specular hardness is different for materials of the same object?

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It turned out to be the "normal" maps... the problem goes away when I switch from "tangent" to "world" - so I may be missing a vector node of sorts (Blender newbie!)
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Turns out the 'shadow' problem is even stranger than I thought!  Notice how it's correct on the right side of her body, and how it goes sharp on the left...  fingers crossed this is an "alpha version" bug!
***update:  just found out that 'viewport render' doesn't always show "soft shadows" - but, I'm still not getting the correct result in "camera view renders" either.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/af632ce3-3241-4da0-ad5c-81a8.jpg
Edited
6 Years Ago by illusionLAB

Reading This Topic