Profile Picture

Clothes not covering skin completely

Posted By edcolmar 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
edcolmar
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have been working with the new cc3 exporting clothes and characters into ue4.  So far this has been a great experience.  But I started noticing with some pieces of clothing, there are places where the skin shows through.

I know that I can hide the mesh underneath, but this is not an option in my case, as players can change the clothing in-game.

Do I just need to go back in and clean these up when I find issues like this?  Why aren't the clothes exporting correctly to begin with?  This is the totally default male model.

In this image you can see the skin in the back of the shirt, as well as in the pants.

Any hints on how to avoid this?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/63da39df-0a8c-4469-a846-b818.png 
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
There's no real way to avoid this -- clothing just can't possibly conform as perfectly to a character that it won't happen occasionally.  You can make it *better*, but for the most part hiding the underlying mesh is the real answer.

One thing you can try is to reweight the clothing at the trouble spots.  That's essentially what that tool is for.  Pose the character in CC3 so it has an issue, then go into the reweighting section and see if you can fix it there.  This may be a (long) iterative process but you may well get it nearly perfect.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Even before CC2 or 3 One solution was to make clothing in Marvelous designer that were 5-10 distance units from the skin or have a masking system for clothing types that can apply a alpha layer to the base character to hide the skin area that is morelikely to have poke though
Kareeem
Kareeem
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)Veteran Member (792 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
If the weighting of the shirt would be correct this would not happen. You can try fixiing the weighting in CC.
An other cheap but easy workaround would be to create an alpha texture for your character model. Or you use one model when the character walks with hidden polies removed and one model for your outfit changing state. I would think the player doesnt change cloth while walking or in the level right? There is probably some changing phase?

Reading This Topic