Profile Picture

Question - fastest way to trace clothing in Affinity?

Posted By gkscoot 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gkscoot
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I've tried the pen and node editing tools. Not bad. But I am wondering if there is a better way.
Let's say you have a bitmap image, and you want to trace it to use the results in CTA3. 
One thing I see is the Pencil tool combined with the Stabilizer box checked and rope mode selected. Pretty quick.
But what are you old timers actually doing? Is there a consensus on what the best practice is for efficiently and quickly creating clothing pieces from underlying bitmap images? 
What is the >best< practice for creating clothing? The fastest, easiest way to crank out a lot of clothes?
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
That's one of my peeve's with Affinity. Serif developed both DrawPlus and PhotoPlus for many years before they moved to the Affinity series and you would think that they would use that knowledge/development in the new Affinity series and have at least some of the same features. Like the "CutOut Studio" feature which allowed for easy cutouts from an image. They also didn't port over the "AutoTrace" feature or the SWF export from DrawPlus into Designer. Both DrawPlus and PhotoPlus have the "CutOut Studio" but it is nowhere to be found in either Affinity Photo or Designer. That is a feature I have used extensively to cut out portions of images for props, etc. for CTA.

I believe you are stuck with using the lasso type tools (or select by color if there is a solid background) when using Affinity.
Maybe you can find a cheap copy of either DrawPlus or PhotoPlus to do your cutouts with.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

gkscoot
gkscoot
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the feedback, I actually have Drawplus 6 from the days when I was using Serif's web making software. Also I have Corel Draw which has pretty good auto trace to covert bitmaps to vector.
But I agree that not having the tools in Affinity Designer seems to make it much harder.

Gary

Reading This Topic