Exporting to Unity Workflow / More manual work then expected /

Posted By Kareeem Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

Exporting to Unity Workflow / More manual work then expected /

Author
The Simulation Crew
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Months Ago
@Kareeem: Thank you! Yes, unfortunately there is...

For the skin I use Pre-Integrated Skin Shader (asset store), which I really recommend.
In this case I combined the hair and eyelashes with the rest (Standard shader), but I can imagine you want to use a separate shader for them. In that case I suggest to combine them in Maya of Mesh Baker in Unity apart from the rest. 

Due to your valid question I updated the document!

Result with only 9 Batches:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3da85207-2fb0-4345-a8f1-51e4.png

Edited
11 Months Ago by The Simulation Crew
Kareeem
Kareeem
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Cool!

Although the hair in unity is just a big problem. I see your using the cutout method wich unfortunately is not giving very nice results for hair.
But even with separate meshes and a Fade or Transparent method you have the issue of the z clipping... you have any approach to that?
The Simulation Crew
The Simulation Crew
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)Senior Member (281 reputation)

I agree and can't find a good approach to it Sad
That is why I'm looking forward to the new shader that Unity promises in 2019.1 (source). 

Edit: I would say for now, the only solution is to hand model custom hair and tuck it inside the head mesh (so no hair cards), like they do in Sims 4.
Edited
The Simulation Crew
The Simulation Crew
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

I've encountered a new problem: after manually deleting polys in the character Body mesh, it shows an odd normals issue in Unity 2018.3. The blend shapes don't have that issue, so it disappears when it's morphed into one:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c6bc9ffb-64e1-4b59-a4ff-cebe.png

I did delete all non-deformer history, tried all Maya export and Unity import settings, but nothing works. The only workaround is to put Normals in Unity import settings to 'Calculate', but this gives some sharp edges here and there that I don't want.
@Kareeem, did you not encounter this with your models? I hope someone can help Smile
Edited
Kareeem
Kareeem
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)Senior Member (491 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Strange. I have never seen this. I am using 3ds max though. I had similar normal issues exporting meshes from maya to max in the past...
In the end I avoid bringing my characters in to 3ds max at all. Weird is though that you dont seem to have the issue on the blend shapes...

As I understand correctly your using the hidden mesh feature. why are you also removing tris in maya?
The Simulation Crew
The Simulation Crew
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for your fast reply! 
I am manually removing, because the hidden mesh feature still keeps a lot of polys in tact that I don't need (in the case of this character it even kept all of the body polys underneath the clothes..

It is indeed extra confusing that the blend shapes don't have the issue.
I'm doing another character the next few days, curious if it happens again.

Edit: Unfortunately it happens to every character after deleting faces from the Body. This is my best solution for it so far:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/08d937cc-1679-4cd0-8f5b-9e73.jpg
Edited
e1_scheer
e1_scheer
Posted 10 Months Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)Senior Member (414 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
This thread is a real life saver and should be pinned to the top of the forum.
I was also wondering if anyone knows how you set Instalod to not bake the
textures when creating multiple LOD levels?

Thanks !

Reading This Topic