Profile Picture

Head/Body Separation on Export

Posted By mattrified 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rewinged28
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Rather than starting a new topic I figure I'd just add here that I'd like something similar. The standard way for armor/clothing swapping in games is having the mesh be split into the swappable parts. Say your game has changable body armor, leggings, boots and gloves; then you'd want your mesh to be split that way. The base character mesh would likely just be a floating head, then you can add the other body parts as needed, so when the character is nude you'd load the nude models for the body, legs, feet etc. Say you then equip some shorts, you'd replace the legs with a mesh that includes the shorts and the legs together with the hidden faces of the legs deleted. It's the most optimum way and it just makes sense. While there is workarounds and ways to do this, Reallusion ahve said they want CC3 to be the go-to software for creating characters in UE4 and Unity, and for that you'd need some built in functionality for common things like this.

Since there's already functionality for hiding faces built in, it likely wouldn't be as much work as building it in from scratch. The hidden mesh preset seams are already in good places too and would work well as a base. You'd just need some export options for it, something that lets you pick which body parts are exported. An even better solution would be having it built into the software when creating the outfits and such, being able to set up your 'equipment slots' and which body parts they effect, choose which 'slot' a piece of clothing or armor occupies, then when you export a whole outfit it would automatically export them seperately with only the visible parts of the relevant body sections.

I hope that makes sense and I know it probably sounds like such a niche request especially for people not knowledgable about game dev, but I think having that kind of stuff built in would make it closer to the goal of being the 'go to software'!

Thanks!

Reading This Topic