Profile Picture

Can someone explain the difference between IRay and Ray Tracing?

Posted By Data Juggler 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Can someone explain the difference between IRay and Ray Tracing?

Author
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 hours ago
And hopefully your answer is not I and Tracing.

Thanks, I am waiting to hear someone with an RTX 2080 (ti) and IClone say it is blazingly fast so I can justify shelling out almost as much as my whole computer cost.

I would like to understand the terminology. I have watched a few videos' on Nvidia Ray Tracing (reflections from other light sources bouncing), and 1 now on IRay about DAZ, not sure if that is the same type of plug in. I just want to understand the terminology so I do not sound like the village idiot (again).

Are they both Render engines, and the Ray Tracing is just newer?

Thanks

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

gordryd
This post has been flagged as an answer
gordryd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 hours ago
They are 2 different things (sort of...) -- a simple explanation is that Ray Tracing is a generic process/technique that simulates the paths that every light source can take in every direction in a 3D scene and calculates reflections, illumination, shadows, etc for the final rendered image.  iRay is s/w that is just one company's implementation ot that process.

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

Reading This Topic