Spaceship Departure Millennium Falcon Style

Posted By pedrosura 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
pedrosura
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Hello,

I am working on a Scene where a Spaceship departs and I didn't like how it looked. It ocurred to me that I could use some math to solve the problem. What I did was to assume that the spaceship starts with:
Initial Vel=10 meters/sec
and an acceleration 1g=9.8 meter/sec
Then I constructed a spreadsheet that calculates Position (meter) and Velocity (meters/sec)as a function of Time(sec).
Then I converted the position as a point along a path from 0 to 100

The problem with using transition presets is that I wanted to have the spaceship roll and yaw. When adding these keys it makes the whole animation tricky and it's easier if the position of the spaceship along the path with pre-determined (by acceleration)
On the spreadsheet T=time(sec)=0,1,2,3,4,5
Vel(meters/sec)= Time*g+Initial velocity
Distance=(Time^2)/2*g+Initial velocity*Time, then you convert Distance to a point along the path from 0 to 100

In this shot the position of the MF as a function of time was calculated and then I introduced yaw and roll along the path. The end result is that it looks natural and the Falcon looks like it's accelerating like a real vehicle. https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f2a8adfa-5b4e-4029-90ce-c1ca.jpg

You could also use it to decelerate like when landing by making "g" negative. You may also decrease or increase the value of "g"
This is useful specially if you are moving spaceships along a path and you want it to look realistic.

Once done you could still use the curve editor to make it better. 

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Yay nerds!   Cool

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

CtrlZ
CtrlZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
justaviking (9/26/2018)
Yay nerds!   Cool

SmileBigGrinHehe True dat!

Home built liquid cooled AMD Ryzen 7 1800X cpu (8 core 16 thread) 4.0GHz,  rtx 3090, ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, 64 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) 6 TB HD's 4K monitor.

Reading This Topic