Transfer FaceWare To New Computer

Posted By don_nvs 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
don_nvs
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello Everyone. I had the FaceWare plugin installed on my laptop so I could take it with me and work anywhere. Today My Alienware Laptop co,platelet died. Won’t turn on, no power, no anything. Can the FaceWare Plugin be transferred to another computer. I know I can unregistered my laptop on the Reallusion website but there is also the FaceWare server that runs on the laptop to verify the software and that is the part I don’t know how to transfer to another computer. Has anyone been able to do this with FaceWare? I know in the past when I first purchased the FaceWare Plugin I had the trial installed on one computer and when I went to install the full version on the laptop, a FaceWare tech had to help transfer the licensing on their end but told me they typically don’t do that.

I really hope my copy of the FaceWare Plugin isn’t lost because my laptop died. I don’t want to have to buy another laptop and another copy of the FaceWare Plugin. Most software allows you to transfer it to other computers because computers do die from time to time. The FaceWare Plugin isn’t a cheap Plugin at all.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You will need Faceware's help here -- I *did* transfer it from one computer to the next but it took three weeks and was a royal PITA.  Start the process with them (don't expect to hear from them until Tuesday) and be patient and eventually you'll get there.

It's ridiculous -- so, SO glad I now have the Faceshift (which is far better anyway -- I don't even use Faceware anymore).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
don_nvs
don_nvs
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)Veteran Member (609 reputation)

I’m glad to hear they worked with you so hopefully they will work with me too. It is hard to believe how hard it is to move their software to another computer. Seems like in today’s day and age we should be able to manage that ourselves. Also, 3 weeks seems a bit unreasonable, especially if someone is using it in a production environment.

I have been considering upgrading my iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone X so I can use the Faceshift Plugin as well. I haven’t done it yet because the iPhone X didn’t offer a Plus version and I like having a bigger phone.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

And now, of course, they DO have the plus version of the X (which is actually even bigger than the 8 plus in a smaller overall size -- how DO they do it?).

I went from the Plus sizes down to the "regular" and I love it (the bigger size was killing me in carrying it around.  Of course, I have the Apple Watch and most of what I want to do is on the watch anyway.  Indeed, some times I don't even take my phone with me, since I can make/get calls and send/receive messages without it.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I'm not interested in the phone as such or use any provider (I only have a cheap pay-as-you go cell phone for traveling), but I AM interested in the technology, so I could get over my Apple aversion in this case. What is the cheapest way to get my hands on one? Will it function (turn on) without a provider? 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

kungphu
kungphu
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I had issues with FW as well transferring to another computer. It took way longer than it should have. Hopefully you don’t have any projects you need it for soon. Maybe they’ve streamlined it a bit, but it took about 3 weeks to do. Lots of emails and not much fun. So wear your patience cap Smile

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (9/23/2018)
I'm not interested in the phone as such or use any provider (I only have a cheap pay-as-you go cell phone for traveling), but I AM interested in the technology, so I could get over my Apple aversion in this case. What is the cheapest way to get my hands on one? Will it function (turn on) without a provider? 

I think your best bet is to wait and see what the new iPads will offer -- there are STRONG rumors it will have the same 3D technology as the phones, so they ought to work with it.  Shouldn't be too long now -- October is the best guess of those in the know.  Even *I'm* interested in getting one (my old iPad is long in the tooth and I'd like another Faceshift to use at the same time).  If you'd like and you're not a strong Apple follower <g> I'll keep you posted (while I'm not a fanboy per se, I do usually watch all the press conferences and Apple release events).

It will almost assuredly be cheaper than a phone and, of course, not require a carrier (you can get one with any iPad but I've never done it).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Kelleytoons (9/23/2018)
 If you'd like and you're not a strong Apple follower <g> I'll keep you posted (while I'm not a fanboy per se, I do usually watch all the press conferences and Apple release events).

Thanks, I would appreciate that. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

ninjarama
ninjarama
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I also had to transfer the Faceware license from one computer to another a few weeks ago and it required capturing some data about your license and sending that as an attachment via email to Faceware Support... my wait time was within 24 hours so I got really lucky.

First you need to request a transfer of the license:
http://support.facewaretech.com/transferring-a-license

...Wait for X amount of time before they reply with an email like the one I received:

XXXXX XXXXX (Faceware Technologies Inc)
Sep 6, 11:19 AM EDT

Hello,
Thank you for providing the appropriate files. Please use the instructions below to remove your existing license. Once you have done so, the new license ticket will be active and you can use it to activate on a different computer.
How to Remove your Faceware Licenses:

1.) Open the CodeMeter Control Center. (Start > All Programs > CodeMeter)
2.) In your license list on the left you'll see your license containers listed. Select the container you wish to remove and note down the 'Serial' number.
3.) If you see a button on the bottom right that reads, "Remove License", you can use this button to remove it. Otherwise, continue with Step 4.
4.) Please open 'CodeMeter Command Prompt' (Start > All Programs > CodeMeter > Tools)
5.) Please type in the following: cmu32 --delete-cmact-license --serial ###-#######

Install your Faceware Licenses:
Installing your Faceware licenses happens through our website. Below, you'll find your license 'Ticket'. From the PC(s) where you'd like to install the license, please follow the instructions below:

Ticket: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

License Activation Instructions:

Follow the instructions on the webpage to enter your license Ticket and activate your licenses.

Note: Licenses can only be activated once...please install your license on the correct PC(s).

Regards,
XXXXX
Faceware Support

don_nvs
don_nvs
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

It’s been over a week now and no response from FaceWare. Their customer service is the worst and I wish I would have never bought this Plugin. It is not uncommon for a hard drive or motherboard to die on a computer. It seems ridiculous that you have to jump through this many hoops to transfer a program that you buy to a new computer.

I hope the good folks at Reallusion are paying attention to this thread because dealing with things like this, although not their fault, shines a poor light on their products. Something about this licensing issues with FaceWare needs to be addressed by Reallusion. If we need to transfer iClone from a dead computer to a new co,outer, Reallusion provides is with a way to do that. I don’t see why FaceWare doesn’t, especially for the price of this Plugin.
Edited
6 Years Ago by don_enyx

Reading This Topic