Profile Picture

Would anyone be interested in an alternate video platform other than YouTube?

Posted By Data Juggler 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Would anyone be interested in an alternate video platform other than...

Would anyone be interested in an alternate video platform other than YouTube?

Author
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I am new to animation, but I have been a software developer for 20 years, and during that time YouTube has grown and changed considerably.

What started out as a free platform to exchange ideas has turned into an ad revenue, advertiser friendly, content censorship platform. 

Not just animated videos, but I see some terrific content that gets so few views it is obvious YouTube doesn't even attempt a fair playing field for content creators to show their content to the world and get noticed.

I am building a website and domain called Lava Pub (www.lavapub.com - not live yet), and the original intent was audio books and open source software, to compete with Audible (owned by Amazon that only pays authors 40% after an author spends months or years writing a book, paying for editing and a narrator or recording an audiobook) and Amazon deserves 60% for being the checkout window. Also CodePlex which was owned by Microsoft used to pay open source developers some ad revenue share, and it was very lame, but it was a trip or two to Starbucks for open source development I was going to do anyway. Then Microsoft shuts down CodePlex, and buys GitHub for 7.5 Billion which doesn't pay open source developers anything.

Lava Pub could also have the same business model to give content creators 80% of all ad revenue (after credit card fees) to video creators. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/193158f2-1cda-4048-a62d-bded.png

And for the part that I think will help the site promote itself, is make this a site that wall street can't buy into. 

Shares of stock would be doled out to the first person to have (downloads / sales / views) reach the next prime number (just to be nerdy). And once a piece of content has been awarded a share, it can't win again so Gangnam Style wouldn't win them all type thing. The same person / channel can be awarded shares for other content though. 

A few things that I think all people would like is the ability to have custom channel names before you get 10,000 subscribers.
Allow users to use custom video title urls (www.lavapub.com/MyChannel/MyVideo is a lot easier to remember than youtu.be/asas93lsch type stuff.
Allow advertisers to bid to be your sponsor for a month. Bids for product placement, t-shirt / cap wearing, etc.
Make the price to reserve a channel name / title name like $1 just to keep people from hoarding premium unused names.

I am just fed up with YouTube only recommending videos that are already popular. Does anyone else feel that way?

Thanks

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
You mean like Vimeo?

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Well I can't argue with the fact that most videos on You tube get buried, but I guess that's a natural consequence of increased 'population'.
But I also get what you mean about not being a level playing field. Such is the power of money (unfortunately)  Sad
Which is why you've come to this idea ..... Well it sounds great - I think it's a big idea to take on - but that's no reason not to do it.
The only question is - once (if) you *make it* successful - will you 'up' your rates and then offer customers say, just 35% ???  lol ...  Smile
(Just kidding) Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
One thing I have noticed with uTube view counting.
 I'm not 100% sure my notice is correct yet but what I have noticed is if I watch one of my uTube videos by playing it from within the forum or by playing it from within a pack in my store. utube does not count the watch. It only seems to count it if its watched from inside uTube itself

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
6 Years Ago by Delerna
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

I have noticed the same thing with Reddit when you link to a video, the views won't count.

I have heard of Vimeo, but never used it. Does it pay 80% of ad revenue to content creators?

I just think product placement should be open to everyone, not just premium channels. I know companies that would send a t-shirt to a channel to have someone wear it, and I know people that run channels that would wear a sponsors shirt in a video, for free just to get the shirt. 

The way I look at it, most people would do better on a site with less videos for a user to watch, rather than more.

YouTube banning Alex Jones (which I don't agree with), but they also banned Jordan Peterson. Have you ever listened to him? Just because you are not a liberal doesn't give YouTube the right to ban someone.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
I'm not particularly interested in monetizing, so in that sense I'm not a very good candidate. I am interested in distribution and exposure.

I have a Vimeo account, but as a video distribution channel it is less effective for me than YouTube, simply because it is not that well known.

What I don't like about YouTube is that because of the mass distribution there are a lot of trolls out there with bogus copyright claims. I had one on one of my videos, although I legally owned the music I used (it was from a Sony CineScore CD). It turned out that the claimant had taken Sony's music and published it as their own. It's annoying but wasn't worth a fight in this case.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Last Active: Last Month
Unfortunately, you lost me with the bit about Alex Jones and Jordan Peterson at the end.
sorry

Cool pete 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
mark
mark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

For me it's all about traffic I don't care about any "revenue" generated from YouTube! YouTube drives revenue to my website site.

It's like I have a store on the main drag with YouTube, even if there are a few potholes on that street, as opposed to a store on a freshly paved side street that few travel...that's what is important to me I'm thinking!Wink

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Last time I used my Vimeo account a few years ago, it didn't have ads, it had a tip jar. 

But my main concern with using any new platform is the "Twitch" itch... ie the itch for ap developers to sell out to the highest bidder for a few gazillion after a year or two anyhow, even though it's the content providers who are the ones pouring out far more of their hearts and creativity. 

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
Just my 2 cents

1- If people said "yes" to the youtube liscence agrements , so they accept that youtube can make what they want.
It's a private company and not yours
2- Youtube gives us a huge amount of storage with big bandwith (4K) , 7/7 days 24 hours maintenance for free
and accessible worlwide.
3- Youtube is the best known broadcaster worwilde and connected to the bigest socials networks
4- Today income are not with the ads but with the sponsors you have to find and show/talk about in your videos

Reading This Topic