baffled by the lights

Posted By johnwarndt52 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
johnwarndt52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I don't know how to express how confused I am with the lighting tutorial I'm trying to follow. First, I typed "beginning lighting, iclone 7," into youtube but keep getting this iclone 6 tutorial. So OK, I figure maybe that's the newest one they have and what they say still holds for version 7.  But the narrator starts with saying he's going to delete the lights from an existing project, but doesn't say HOW. Then I close the project I was working on and begin a whole new one, which he says should contain only two lights. But when I deactivate both, there's still light on the scene. Quite a bit of it, actually. I'm just baffled. Could somebody please offer an explanation for where that light might be coming from? 
(this is the turorial I'm referring to)
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
On the "Visual" tab (right below your "Scene" tab), look for an IBL setting.  That's probably the source of the light.

IBL - Image Based Lighting - uses a spherical image wrapped around your scene which essentially emits light onto your scene.  So you can "light" you scene with a jungle, or desert, or an office setting without having to create a whole bunch of lights manually.  You can rotate it to position the lighting, such as if the sunset in your IBL is coming from the left or right side of your screen.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Found it. It was clicked "on,"and when I unclicked it, the scene went dark. That explains a lot. Thanks!
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
If you search on YouTube for 'iClone 7 Lighting", a number of tutorials come up: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iclone+7+lighting.

For example, this basic tutorial:

That may be a better place to start.

As to "left-over" lighting: Another source (hardly ever used) is ambient lighting. It is the first setting on the Visual tab.

If the Ambient light color is something other than black, it will provide some lighting. It won't give any shadows, so it is rather flat and thus not very useful on its own.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you, I'll check out that video. Don't know how I missed it

Reading This Topic