How To Move UserContent Folder?

Posted By phil_78 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
phil_78
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello all,

I'm on a Mac, running Yosemite, and CrazyTalk 7.

I'm trying to learn how to move the UserContent folder found at
/Users/useraccount/UserContent

A search of the manual and web are coming up empty.

Am I free to move this folder anywhere I want?  Or, will CrazyTalk be able to find it only in the above location?  Thought I'd ask before making a mess of things.

Thanks!

phil_78
phil_78
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

As best I can tell...

If you move the UserContent folder containing your assets, the next time CrazyTalk launches it will create a new UserContent folder in the same location in the user directory at:

/Users/useraccount/UserContent

Your assets will no longer be available to CrazyTalk, best I can tell.

It looks like that if you want to store assets within CrazyTalk you have to use the UserContent folder in the fixed location that CrazyTalk requires.

For future reference, the programmers might note that this is a public location available to all users of the Mac.  A better choice might have been the Library folder within each user account. 

Or, if I'm wrong, please let me know!

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Hi...

Unfortunately the only safe way to change the location of the content folders is during installation. You can't just move them as CrazyTalk will no longer be able to find the files.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

phil_78
phil_78
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the reply Peter.

I see now that you can move the UserContent folder, if you move it back when you want to use that collection of assets.  If you don't move it back, CrazyTalk creates a new empty UserContent folder the next time you launch.

Can you select your own chosen location for the UserContent folder during installation?  If yes, that sounds like a solution. 

So long as I save my current UserContent folder with my own assets I could copy it to the new location once I've reinstalled, right?

Thanks again!

phil_78
phil_78
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

My questions above were in regards to CrazyTalk 7 standard Mac. 

I'm working with the CT 8 demo (Mac) now.   Looks good!

Where is the UserContent folder (or equivalent) in CT 8 standard Mac?

Thank you.

Reading This Topic