Profile Picture

Stop Keyframes Being Created When Positioning Characters.

Posted By steve_gill 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Stop Keyframes Being Created When Positioning Characters.

Author
steve_gill
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)Veteran Member (728 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I'm sure this is a very basic question but how do I stop CTA3 from creating animation keyframes when I'm moving a character to position it?
In other words, when I place a character in a scene and then move it to position it where I want it, CTA3 thinks I'm animating the character (the grey dots with joining lines appear).  I know I can click Remove Object Animation but is there any way to prevent them from being created in the first place?

Thanks,
Steve

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Here is my perspective, coming from iClone which behaves the same way (auto key frame)…

This issue and request comes up frequently.
I think a switch to turn auto keyframing on/off would be a reasonable compromise, but I disagree with people who want it changed to "never do it."

Why?

After a while, you get used to doing one of two things:  a) Be sure you are at Time=0 when you add or move things, and b) Remove Animation is so quick and easy it's no big deal.

On the other hand, I would really hate to spend a lot of time moving and positioning a prop or a character - or a character's pose which could be a lot of work - for two or three different time locations, only to discover it was not making key frames and I lost all that work.  Sure, you could have a "Make key frame" button, but if you forgot to click it?

So with the current behavior, I risk losing 5 seconds of time as I "Remove animation."  That's much better than losing many minutes of work which might be difficult to recreate exactly the way I did it the first time.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic