Profile Picture

Is Character Creator 3 a good fit for my needs?

Posted By brad_mcmillan 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
brad_mcmillan
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)Senior Member (272 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
To preface, I am in the midst of learning game design and I have been concentrating primarily in blender to get my 3d modeling up to snuff. I use Daz3d Genesis 8 as base models and have considerable amount of money invested in assets there with regards to morph utilities, props and clothing. I am starting to reach a stage  in character development where I will be rigging and animating. I noticed that CC3 is going to be a stand alone program but I am kind of unsure of how it can fit in with the other programs. The things I am looking for are:

1)the ability to move meshes between CC3/blender (move meshes to blender, edit and move back)
2)animation/rigging (does CC3 have a better animation/rigging system, if any, than blender does?)
3)lipsync ( does CC3 have a lipsync function?)
4)Pay no royalties for commercial purposes (which if I understand you just need an pay for the export version of CC3 and you can create a million game characters, correct?)

Obviously the biggest hurdle to daz is the prohibitive licensing. Blender pretty much already does everything else. I downloaded the CC2 trail and was completely underwhelmed but the lack of body morphs. The characters also look exceptionally low poly. 

I am hesitant on pulling the trigger since the package I am looking at is almost 300 USD. Can somebody help.

Thanks

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
CC3 is going to be a huge overhaul to Character Creator.  It sounds to me like it would fit well in your pipeline.  (Speaking of that, you'll what the "Pipeline" version for full export capability.)

If you PRE-ORDER now to get the low introductory price, you will still have 14 days after the product is released* and available to test drive it and see if it meets your needs.

*See these two links:
https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost376543.aspx
https://kb.reallusion.com/Purchase/52688/Can-I-refund-a-Character-Creator-3-Preorder-package

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
From what I understand, you don't want extremely high-poly for game development. A complaint regarding CC characters has actually been that they have too many polys for game design. 

With CC3 you will be able to generate different LOD version of the same character to accommodate game developers (although this is also useful for filmmakers). Also, note that a lot of the detail in characters can be accomplished with high-quality textures.

A standard version of CC3 is included in iClone, but to import and export you need CC3 Pipeline, which is a standalone program. The benefit is that it allows import of DAZ G8 characters, which will then behave as CC characters.

For lip-syncing and any other animation you will need iClone, but the converted G8 characters will behave as regular standard iClone characters.

I leave any licensing questions to Peter (RL), because I'm not sure about using imported DAZ characters that have been converted in games. I don't think that would circumvent the DAZ licensing.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic