Profile Picture

Moving keyframes in timeline - HOW?

Posted By rolandhere 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rolandhere
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I'm doing a looping style animation that requires me to move keyframes around to sync up the timing. This is frustrating because clicking on and dragging a keyframe works only about once every four attempts. The rest of the time the cursor jumps on the keyframe wherever I'm clicking, causing it to steal the focus on the keyframe - or the target area is WAY too small for the cursor to land on. The result is that although the keyframe is highlighted, I'm just dragging air most of the time because it remains in its original position.

The screenshot below depicts a "skid mark" where the cursor dragged on the keyframe, but it stayed in place.
Is there a reliable way to move keyframes or is this a design flaw that needs to be corrected?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/36dc24ad-4d7c-42fc-8271-26a7.png

Mac Pro - Sierra - CTA3 Pipeline.

kylelee
kylelee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
rolandhere (9/2/2018)
I'm doing a looping style animation that requires me to move keyframes around to sync up the timing. This is frustrating because clicking on and dragging a keyframe works only about once every four attempts. The rest of the time the cursor jumps on the keyframe wherever I'm clicking, causing it to steal the focus on the keyframe - or the target area is WAY too small for the cursor to land on. The result is that although the keyframe is highlighted, I'm just dragging air most of the time because it remains in its original position.

The screenshot below depicts a "skid mark" where the cursor dragged on the keyframe, but it stayed in place.
Is there a reliable way to move keyframes or is this a design flaw that needs to be corrected?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/36dc24ad-4d7c-42fc-8271-26a7.png

You could try to use the Copy/Past method for editing.
It is work and sure the keyframe will be correct.
rolandhere
rolandhere
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)Senior Member (429 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
kylelee (9/3/2018)

You could try to use the Copy/Past method for editing.
It is work and sure the keyframe will be correct.

Yes, I could do that — and add more steps to getting the job done —  but I should also be able to drag the keyframes over one or two frames directly on the timeline without encountering this problem with mouse targeting. Yesterday I counted 4 missed attempts before my mouse was finally able to grab the keyframe so that I could move it. The fact that this workflow "eventually" works, however inconsistently, proves there is something wrong with this feature - and that it needs to be FIXED rather than ignored or worked around.

Thank you for your help. Smile

Mac Pro - Sierra - CTA3 Pipeline.

Edited
6 Years Ago by rolandhere
garylearntech
garylearntech
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi Rolandhere - I've not been using CTA much recently, but I seem to recall that issue.  The 'trick' I found was to click ever so slightly to the left of the keyframe you're wanting to move.  Not sure why it's necessary, but that seemed to be all that was required.  Hope this helps.

---
Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline (always the current production version, unless otherwise stated)
Mac mini M1, macOS Big Sur (11.6.5)
Signature data last updated 2022-05-15

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Thank you for the feedback. We do plan on improving the dragging of keyframes in the next version. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ckritzer
ckritzer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thank you for this little tidbit - was having the same issue and it was quite frustrating.  Great tip!

Reading This Topic