Sky Tool Crashing System

Posted By Britlish 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Britlish
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I included the Sky Tool for the first time in a project today and on trying to render the scene the entire system crashed and needed to reboot. Happened a couple of times.
Having recently installed a GTX 1080 Ti card with 11 GB RAM, I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers with a clean install and tried again. Same thing happened; a complete system crash requiring a reboot.
As the only thing I had not had experience with was the Sky Tool, I removed it from the scene and tried to render it again. This time it rendered flawlessly.
Has anyone else had a problem with the Sky Tool causing system crashes? It could be a useful tool, but it's not much use if it crashes everything.

Britlish.com

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I did have one crash with the sky tool  but it came down to using too large an HDRI image (for both the sky and IBL).  Once I reduced that image size everything was fine (it turned out to be ridiculous, something like 100GB or something -- I'd have to look to be sure -- but I do remember thinking I only really needed something about 4K to work).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
You didn't mention the video format that you tried rendering to, I was able to render out the default Sky Tool project as both AVI and MPG without any issues - system specs below. 

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
6 Years Ago by wires
Britlish
Britlish
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I originally tried rendering to MP4 at 1920x1080 and then to AVI. Both crashed.
I have had the time, and courage, to go back to the project and put the sky tool back in. This time it was rendering without crashing, so it must have been something to do with the configuration of the sky tool the first time.
I'll do some more experiments and see if I can replicate the issue.
Thanks for your comments.

Britlish.com

Reading This Topic