Profile Picture

Rendering takes a long time, yet my pc only uses about 7% of my CPU resources

Posted By Data Juggler 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Rendering takes a long time, yet my pc only uses about 7% of my CPU...

Author
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
@justaviking  No problem Smile Yes it is definitely has to be fixed/improved as Peter vouched for RL to look into it: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost335058.aspx
I forgot to mention, that I used super-sampling 3x3 in all tests. For DSR it sure could be turned Off. It would make it render even faster without quality loss.

@dogged2003 DSR hack/trick is for those, who use 2K monitors with Nvidia GPUs (I believe for people who use 4K monitors it comes natural) and render at 1080p.
https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost334935.aspx
Need to check all those boxes (or at least 4.00x), then switch display resolution to 3840x2160px. Hit Ctrl+7 in iClone and render (make sure to turn super-sampling OFF).
If you have Glare enabled in Visual, make sure to turn it Off as well, or set to minimum as it would be blown out of proportion.

@Data Juggler  Hit Ctrl+F to bring some of iClone statistics on-screen (top-left in viewport)

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Double....

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

I finally got a chance to try this, and after I turned on DSR 4.0 x, changed my resolution to Dynamic 4096 (or whatever), and I couldn't read anything on my screen.

I was able to hunt around with Windows Magnifier and put everything back, but that makes my pc not useable with a font that small.

Just changing my project render settings to 3840 x 2160 and turning Super Sampling off increased my render speed to about 2 seconds per frame, which I can tolerate.

I will probably still buy a new GPU, but until then I can live with this speed.

PixelDatabase.Net

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yes, I forgot to mention you need a good magnifying glass to view  the screen Smile. Whenever I use it, the reason being is not to speedup the render (the difference in speed between full screen in 2k and 4k with DSR is neglect-able), but rather to illuminate GI flickering and jagged edges on some glowing objects, which is specific to certain projects.

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I am having a flickering issue now with hair when I turned of super sampling. 
I am trying with Super Sampling back on, just goes back to being really slow.

I will buy a new GPU before I judge too much on speed. I am getting a little over 2 frames per second with super sampling 3 x 3 turned on, so still better than before with 1920 resolution it was 5 seconds.

To me writing more pixels would take longer, but I guess the scaling down takes time.

PixelDatabase.Net

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
SS takes longer because it is writing each frame multiple times and combining them.

If you turn it off, you will be essentially the same speed as rendering in preview mode, even with the other high quality boxes checked. You might test rendering at 4K and resampling to 1080 in a video editor. See how long that takes.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Rampa
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I still get the flickering, so Super Sampling didn't help.

I was working on my other issue of diagonal lines, which I solved by increasing the self illumination of the walls.
I had switched out the Image Based Lighting image:

And I think I had modified the Ambient Occlusion just clicking buttons and seeing what happens, and this caused the little lines to appear.

I don't remember how to get back the default Global Illumination Indirect Light image, I looked in the templates folder, but seeing it and knowing which one is the right are two different things.

At least I know Super Sampling is not the culprit.

PixelDatabase.Net

Edited
6 Years Ago by Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

One thing I noticed from watching my video again, is that I am moving my camera and zooming in, it seems to flicker more the further it is zoomed out.

Once the camera is close up the flickering stops. I read another post about Depth of Field being the culprit, is there a way to turn that off so I can see if that is the cause.

Should I switch back to my original post? (these two issues are semi related I think).

Thanks

PixelDatabase.Net

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I found the setting for Depth of Field, and it is not Activated, so I guess that isn't it. I will try using it so the background is not focused on.

PixelDatabase.Net

Reading This Topic