Profile Picture

Rendering takes a long time, yet my pc only uses about 7% of my CPU resources

Posted By Data Juggler 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Rendering takes a long time, yet my pc only uses about 7% of my CPU...

Author
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I was just wondering is there anyway to designate to IClone it is ok to use more resources?
Even with Visual Studio, IClone and some other apps open, CPU usage rarely spikes about 10% for a second and goes back down.

Memory usage is also less than 8 gig of 32, I would hate to feel like Scotty and find out I really wasn't given her all she's got:

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Edited
6 Years Ago by Data Juggler
4u2ges
This post has been flagged as an answer
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The question is, how slow? CPU does not really play that much role in rendering as GPU does. And then again, we are back to square one... a viewport size.. sight.
Hit Ctrl+7 and bring render window up from the menu. Detach it to maximize the viewport. Adjust settings and begin rendering. You should see the rendering speed increase.
Finished? Ctrl+6 to restore the view.
Now, for experiment sake, minimize the viewport window by dragging the timeline all the way up and begin rendering as usual. Notice rendering speed difference?

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Right, as he says this almost always comes down to GPU -- watch your GPU usage and see how fast it is performing (and how much memory it is taking up).  With iClone the tests I did show that almost 95% of the rendering is done inside the GPU (so even a faster CPU does little if you're not running a really good GPU.  AND you had better have at least 8gb unless your scene is very modest -- nowadays with GI I would not run a GPU with less).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

As to how slow, is seems to render 1 frame every 5 to 7 seconds, maybe a little longer on some. Rendering 600 frames takes a little less than an hour.

My GPU only has 2 gig because when I bought my pc I was mainly doing software development and this pc is plenty fast for that.

I know I made it slower by turning on Super Sampling 3 x 3; does that make much difference in the output quality?

Is adding a new GPU just like adding a new slot to the motherboard? Us programmers describe changing light bulbs as a hardware problem, but I can snap something in and turn a few screws.

I think I remember money as why I didn't spend too much on a GPU at the time, I will have to research all this.

Back to my day job that pays for my expensive new hobby.

Thanks for the replies.

PixelDatabase.Net

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Just from the memory description I can you you it's unlikely your GPU is up to the task (even RL recommends a minimum of 6gb -- I'm using a 12GB card now and it makes a LOT of difference).  Putting a better one in your machine (and as a programmer I can tell you it's one of the easiest things you can do assuming your power supply is up to the task -- if not, you can also put a new power supply in and it's not at all scary).

But, they are expensive -- good ones nearly as much as your PC (I spent 2K for the one I'm using now, and my "old" one, the 1080, was around $800, although I think you can get it cheaper nowadays).  But SO worth it for iClone (so make more money from that day job).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I don't drive now, but back when I used to drive I would spend $20,000 on a car and spend an hour or two day in it at the most.

I use a pc every moment I am awake, at home and not cooking, cleaning or showing, so spending a little money to not watch hourglasses has always been worth it.

I have had bosses I showed them how a faster pc is a no-brainer versus the cost of labor.

Should I keep the 2 gigs I have and add more, or just replace the 2 gig with something else. Not sure if that works like memory or not?

Thanks

PixelDatabase.Net

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
After the temporary Bitcoin mining craze, high-end GPU prices have come down, fortunately. The GTX 1080 Ti has 11 GB and I see it at Newegg for between $700 and $800 with a number of sales going on.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Data Juggler (8/13/2018)
Should I keep the 2 gigs I have and add more, or just replace the 2 gig with something else. Not sure if that works like memory or not?

While for iRay rendering you could use more than one card, quite honestly (not to sound tough) that 2GB card you have isn't worth keeping.  And having multiple GPUs in a PC is another level of expertise (the main problem being power -- most power supplies can only handle one, although the very high end PCs like mine have enough for two.  But you then also need the appropriate slots, with the same usual kinds of issues).

Get the highest end GPU made by nVidia you can afford (the 1080 is a great choice -- Titan even better, and there are better ones coming ASAP).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ok, thanks. Any favorite brand of GPU's?

I remember I paid a lot for my power supply because of the cooling system I added required it, but I have some old pc's that don't have a GPU I can throw the old GPU in before I give it to my mom or something.

Thanks

PixelDatabase.Net

Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've been through all of this recently.
I had 2 GTX1060 which together is blistering fast for Iray or Cycles(Blender) as those systems you can add GPUs to multiply your physically based rendering.
But that's it, every other task only 1 GPU can be utilized.
So to play real time iClone, and rendering iClone that process can only use one of the GPU's brain at a time.
Therefore I had to get a GTX1080 to get the most out of iClone.
I personally like Gigabytes GPUs.
And I stay away from Zotac due to their cheap heat sinks.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg

Reading This Topic