Cross cutting in camera?

Posted By michaellegge52 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
michaellegge52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
The camera is baffling me as a newbie. Can you make it cross cut between characters as in a conversation? I've tried it and can do the first character as a closeup, but when I try the second character close up, it wipes out the first one I did? Can't find a thorough tutorial about using the camera. Is it because I have the standard edition and need the pro?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
Hi...

if you are a newcomer, please try watching the tutorial below. This takes you through creating your first project but it also has a section on camera animation @ 20:22. Smile

https://youtu.be/hkbLq87EitQ

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

michaellegge52
michaellegge52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Yes, I've seen that one, but it only shows how to pan the camera in the scene, which I can do. I just figure out how to make straight cuts between characters without the camera moving. Person one talks in close up, cut to person two close up replying, etc. I can't figure out how to make the camera do that without moving. Is it because I have the standard timeline?
vepop
vepop
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

In the Timeline, choose Tracklist>Project>Camera.
Insert keyframe to zoom in or out or cross cut.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9331d0a4-6a4b-4e86-9f88-963f.jpg
YouTube Tutorials Here
michaellegge52
michaellegge52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Tried that. Just tried again. Here's what happens. I set a medium shot of the character. I hit record while she does a task. I turn off record. Then I zoom in on her, make a new camera key frame in that spot and get a closeup. I hit record for that and then off. But what happens is the first shot I've done took on characteristics of the second key frame and it's all one closeup. As a test, I left record on while I zoomed in her and when it played back I got what I expected; the shot zooms from medium shot to a close in one take.
If it can't do straight cutting rather than all camera movement, I'd like to know that, so I know what I'm dealing with in the future.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

michaellegge52 (8/13/2018)
Tried that. Just tried again. Here's what happens. I set a medium shot of the character. I hit record while she does a task. I turn off record. Then I zoom in on her, make a new camera key frame in that spot and get a closeup. I hit record for that and then off. But what happens is the first shot I've done took on characteristics of the second key frame and it's all one closeup. As a test, I left record on while I zoomed in her and when it played back I got what I expected; the shot zooms from medium shot to a close in one take.
If it can't do straight cutting rather than all camera movement, I'd like to know that, so I know what I'm dealing with in the future.

Try this simple test. This should help.

01. Start a new project and add two characters next to each other and frame the scene so both characters are visible.
02. Now move to Frame 50 and turn on "Camera Record Mode".
03. Use the camera zoom (z) and pan (x) controls to zoom into the head and shoulders of the first character.
04. Now move to Frame 100
05. Use the camera pan (x) control to move onto the head and shoulders of the second character.
06. Now open the Timeline and show the Camera track (Under Project).
07. Now right click the keyframe at Frame 1 and click Copy.
08. Paste this at Frame 49
09. Now right click the keyframe at Frame 50 and click Copy
10. Paste this at Frame 99

Now when you play your project you will stay at a long shot until frame 50 when it will switch to a closeup of character 1, it will then remain on character 1 until frame 100 when it will switch to a close up of character 2.

I hope this gives you an idea of how camera switching works.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

michaellegge52
michaellegge52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I tried this three times in a row just now; following your instructions. Each time it ends up a long shot of both characters.  Is this something you can only do in the pro version?
michaellegge52
michaellegge52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This is getting worse now. I can't make the camera do anything now; not even a motion pan or zoom, which I could at least do before. Is my software download faulty?
michaellegge52
michaellegge52
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So now I did a zoom just to see something work. In record mode you can see the zoom when you scrub it, when I turn the REC off, the movie doesn't happen.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

michaellegge52 (8/13/2018)
I tried this three times in a row just now; following your instructions. Each time it ends up a long shot of both characters.  Is this something you can only do in the pro version?

Are you able to access the Camera track of the Timeline and copy and paste the keyframes as described?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic