CC3 New iFace?

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
So since CC3 (at least out of the box) isn't compatible with the RLHeads generated by CT8 Pipeline (so the workaround is to import to the old CC and then convert?) I assume it also is not compatible with the iFace format, correct?  If I understand this (and I well may not) the iFace format is kind of a "head morph and texture" holder that applies said items to the current CC2 head/body (interestingly enough while it only has the head morph it seems to contain *both* the face and body textures, although this would appear to be the wrong thing to do).

If my assumptions are correct so far (again -- may be WAY off base) then can we further assume there will be yet ANOTHER file format for use in iClone, something like iNewFace or (even worse) some completely renamed item like CC3Head (one thing about iClone -- we have more extensions than Inspector Gadget)?  The reason I'm asking -- I want to know the process by which we will be able to create morphs for the head of CC3 characters (without having to use GoZ, yet another program/plugin to buy).  Hopefully this process won't be onerous and we will be able to save them as we do currently the iFace models for easy application to other characters.

Also, if we can easily export the head only (and then, of course, reimport it) we can create our own head morphs in other programs (even Blender) .  I would assume this has to be possible since it's a bare minimum requirement for any game developer.

So -- Miranda, Peter?  Any official word on this?

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Nothing yet?  I know Miranda is pretty busy, but it would be nice to have *some* comment on this, even if it's just "all will be revealed soon".

(I know -- Tony can tell me that :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

The day in Taiwan starts in our night, so it'll be a bit until you hear from Miranda.

It may be confusing that CC1 base keeps being mentioned. The CC1 base is the triangular mesh base that is used in CC1 and CC2. 

RLHead's are generated with the CC1 base, and are therefore triangular mesh. Because the the CC3 base is quad mesh, they are not directly compatible. But you can still use a CC1 triangular mesh base within CC3 to load an RLhead, and then use the aforementioned conversion method to make it a CC3 quad mesh base. Miranda and Peter have noted that the conversion from tri base to quad base can be done within CC3.

My vote is "SuperiFaceTurboPlatinum"! Smile
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Rampa (8/7/2018)

My vote is "SuperiFaceTurboPlatinum"! Smile

My vote is "Facey McBoatFace"

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the clarification vis a vis CC1/CC2 base.

I *assume* (always dangerous) that the idea behind a quad based mesh is both better compatibility as well as better quality, so I do hope we still get an iFaceyThingee (that's my choice for extension) that we can indeed manipulate outside of CC3 and then import back in, and not just "well, use the old format for this purpose and convert" which kind of defeats the whole point of having a new mesh in the first place.

And, yes, I know Miranda's in China which is why I waited a day before I further commented -- but I also know these things can easily get lost.  So, again, I'll remain hopeful that maybe by tomorrow morning we can still get an official word about this.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Kelleytoons (8/6/2018)
So since CC3 (at least out of the box) isn't compatible with the RLHeads generated by CT8 Pipeline (so the workaround is to import to the old CC and then convert?) I assume it also is not compatible with the iFace format, correct?  If I understand this (and I well may not) the iFace format is kind of a "head morph and texture" holder that applies said items to the current CC2 head/body (interestingly enough while it only has the head morph it seems to contain *both* the face and body textures, although this would appear to be the wrong thing to do).

If my assumptions are correct so far (again -- may be WAY off base) then can we further assume there will be yet ANOTHER file format for use in iClone, something like iNewFace or (even worse) some completely renamed item like CC3Head (one thing about iClone -- we have more extensions than Inspector Gadget)?  The reason I'm asking -- I want to know the process by which we will be able to create morphs for the head of CC3 characters (without having to use GoZ, yet another program/plugin to buy).  Hopefully this process won't be onerous and we will be able to save them as we do currently the iFace models for easy application to other characters.

Also, if we can easily export the head only (and then, of course, reimport it) we can create our own head morphs in other programs (even Blender) .  I would assume this has to be possible since it's a bare minimum requirement for any game developer.

So -- Miranda, Peter?  Any official word on this?

Hi KT,

The .iFace format has been used in iClone since the first generation of avatars, but isn't used in Character Creator. 

Since Character Creator 2 we now use the universal format .RLhead for transfer of heads between products. In Character Creator itself heads are saved in .ccAvatarPreset format. So any custom heads you create using morph sliders are saved in this format.

To clarify one other point you mention, in Character Creator 3 you will be able load RLHeads from Crazytalk 8 or any other source, but for now you must apply them to a CC1 base first. The CC1 bases are included in CC3 so you don't have to use CC2 to do the process. The actual conversion from CC1 base to CC3 base is very quick so you won't find it a major inconvenience. Eventually you will be able to do this directly to CC3 base characters.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Okay, but it kind of dances around my question.  Let's see if I can put it more concisely.

1. Are the new heads in CC3 more detailed/better than the ones in CC1/2?   Or are they just "different" (for example, just quads as opposed to triangles, but otherwise same resolution and detail)?

2. Can these CC3 heads be exported separately to work on/load in?  For example, if I want to create a head morph in Blender, can I export just the CC3 head out and do this (and then import it back in)?  Or if you are saying there is no new head (no RLHead3, for example) then I'm guessing the answer is no to this and the workflow is to work with the old RLHeads and then perform this autoconversion inside of CC3.

In the video tutorial for the iPhone Faceshift it definitely shows an avatar that, to my eyes at least, looks better detailed.  I am making an assumption this is a CC3 one, but perhaps not, perhaps it's just an old RLHead on a "regular" avatar.  It would be nice to know, though.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Kelleytoons (8/13/2018)
Okay, but it kind of dances around my question.  Let's see if I can put it more concisely.

1. Are the new heads in CC3 more detailed/better than the ones in CC1/2?   Or are they just "different" (for example, just quads as opposed to triangles, but otherwise same resolution and detail)?

The new heads in CC3 are improved in many areas, not just different. Please see below for an example:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4bc39f22-f56c-4f48-b9f1-13d1.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bb3807f3-acfb-4095-b5fe-9781.png

2. Can these CC3 heads be exported separately to work on/load in?  For example, if I want to create a head morph in Blender, can I export just the CC3 head out and do this (and then import it back in)?  Or if you are saying there is no new head (no RLHead3, for example) then I'm guessing the answer is no to this and the workflow is to work with the old RLHeads and then perform this autoconversion inside of CC3.

It's the same morph creation process used in CC2. Export the character, modify it your 3rd party tool of choice, and import back in to create a "Head Morph".

3. In the video tutorial for the iPhone Faceshift it definitely shows an avatar that, to my eyes at least, looks better detailed.  I am making an assumption this is a CC3 one, but perhaps not, perhaps it's just an old RLHead on a "regular" avatar.  It would be nice to know, though.

The heads shown in the video are the new CC3 heads. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
6 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks, Peter, that's exactly what I was hoping and is very exciting indeed.

Folks should be *really* excited about this -- it's actually much more exciting than most of the new CC3 stuff (which is already pretty exciting).  iClone is nothing if not animation, and animation is really all about the face.  Seeing that detailed face in that demo really blew me away, it was so much more responsive and detailed.

I'm now actually so stoked about this I hardly want to do anything with the old stuff (I usually tell folks not to worry but in this particular case it really is such a huge improvement doing animation now will almost surely be something I want to redo later).  Sigh.  Good news is we don't have TOO much longer to wait (at my age waiting a few months was usually never a problem.  This is a big exception).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

I'm half way there ....  4 more weeks and I'll have the funds ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Reading This Topic