Iray Plugin for iClone 7 and Character Creator 3

Posted By Miranda (RL) 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Miranda (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello everyone, here are some information to help you evaluate the Iray Plugin before the official launch date. 
If you have any questions, please leave a comment in this thread.

Compatibility

The Iray plugin supports both Character Creator 3 and iClone 7.
*Iray ready iClone 7 will be made available in the final quarter of 2018.

Hardware Support
  1. Iray supports any number or combination of NVIDIA CUDA GPUs and CPUs running within the same machine and gives you control over which are being used for rendering.
  2. AMD graphics card is not supported in this architecture. 
  3. NVIDIA CUDA GPUs System requirements
    • GPUs of CUDA compute capability 3.0 and higher are supported
    • The drivers needs to support CUDA 9.0
  4. Reference: NVIDIA Render Performance Benchmark
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/54462b7b-eed2-46a4-8e3f-885e.jpg

Example: a system with two NVIDIA GTX-1080 graphic cards can almost double the render speed.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b2931c36-5cc6-4eb4-8e22-bc54.jpg

Performance

Rendering speed for the Iray Plugin is on par with NVidia Iray.  We will perform more tests and provide users a reference report by the time of the official launch.

Animation Sequence Rendering

Multiple frame rendering is available for iClone's Iray plugin, while Character Creator will only offer single frame rendering.

Lighting and Shadow

iClone provides fine-grain control over real-time lighting and shadows which allow it to bend reality with the likes of Shadow Caster and shadowless lighting.
Iray is a raytracing system with physically based rendering wherefore any type of light source and emissive mesh must cast shadows.  

Example: iClone can support shadowless lighting while Iray can not.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8ef0b0c1-c393-4165-8e57-9f64.gif

Example: iClone can cast shadows without a light source while Iray can not. This explains why there is a difference in the shadows for the WIP 1 video.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6ccae5f2-2c80-43c7-9b6b-4a5e.gif

Supported iClone Post Effects

In the the first Iray PlugIn release, we will focus on Iray’s photorealistic rendering, iClone camera and light mapping, as well as the full MDL material support. We do hope we can deal with other post effects like LUT, HDR, or NPR in the near future. 

Compatibility to the Existing iClone Functions

Only the incompatible ones are listed: 
  • Heightmap Terrain -- will be supported in the next official release 
  • SpeedTree -- will be supported in the next official release
  • Water
  • Particle (e.g. PopcornFX)

Indigo Comparison

The implementation of Iray has superceded the feature sets of the legacy Indigo render system.

IrayIndigo
CompanyNvidiaGlare Technologies
Available Render ModesInteractive & PhotorealPhotoreal
Supports CPU RenderingYesYes
Support GPU RenderingYesYes
Render SpeedFastSlow
Supports Disney PBR WorkflowYesNo
Supports Multi-passesYesNo
Material FormatMDL (Exchangeable)IGM

Iray Batch Render

iClone and CC will export and pass the scene to Iray Batch Render, which implies that users are allowed to render without iClone and CC running in the background. 

*The Development Team is looking into cloud-based rendering service, but we can't promise anything at this moment.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Miranda (RL)
Firepro
Firepro
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
"iClone and CC will export and pass the scene to Iray Batch Render, which implies that users are allowed to render without iClone and CC running on the background. "

Can you please elaborate on the iRay Batch Renderer?  Thanks!
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I don't mean to offend anyone but RL really needs to proofread their announcements, bad sintaxis, incomplete sentences, etc. In some cases it is a bit confusing
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Thanks for the information.
I know we still have questions, and will continue to think of more, but every update is appreciated.  At least it sounds like Reallusion has been listening.

P.S.
I was not surprised at all to hear the Iray plug-in will not support PopcornFX.  At least not yet.
I believe I put that in my one of my very first don't-get-too-excited-yet posts when the plug-in was first released.

Oh, I am still excited, but I expected limitations, and assumed there would be some that will stop a lot of people from rendering their movies in Iray.  Some may have great success, but if PopcornFX is important to you, you'll continue to render in iClone.  SpeedTree?  How to control refraction, caustics, and subsurface scattering from inside iClone?  And we still need to learn a lot more about real-world performance.  But as I said above, all updates and bits of information are appreciated.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (62.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
raxel_67 (8/6/2018)
I don't mean to offend anyone but RL really needs to proofread their announcements, bad sintaxis, incomplete sentences, etc. In some cases it is a bit confusing

My bad! We will update a new version later.
akuei2
akuei2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
PopcornFX Compatibility?

It's under evaluation. PopcornFX will not be compatible in the first release.

Sound's no good ...

PopcornFX was one point I continue using IClone7, and Iray Plugin purpose enhance DAZ Integrate result.
Hope Iray Plugin don't step back what's Indigo Plugin go-on.
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
"AMD graphics card is not supported in this architecture. "

Yeah, for me, bought a plugin I can't use..... (laptop has AMD graphics card, so can't change it).

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

akuei2
akuei2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Yeah,replace new nvidia computer Tongue
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

rollasoc (8/6/2018)
"AMD graphics card is not supported in this architecture. "

Yeah, for me, bought a plugin I can't use..... (laptop has AMD graphics card, so can't change it).

Iray will run on your CPU, just more slowly than on an Nvidia card.

So it now comes down to your patience...  for individual stills, you might be okay.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Quoting myself from 4 months ago:

For the Iray plug-in... I really hope that everything works seemlessly...  Textures (PBR and traditional), lighting, camera, PopcornFX, SpeedTree, PopVideo, DOF... fog... etc...

There is a chaance the rendering speeds will be "acceptable" (at least to some people) assuming it incorporates the AI Denoiser (and I think it will), but if parts of your scene don't transfer correctly into Iray, then the speed becomes irrelevant.

We now know PopcornFX is not supported (for now, at least).

What about SpeedTree?  Fog?  PopVideo?
What about animated textures (video on the diffuse/base material channel)?
What about keyframed Substances?  Or Substances that are "animated" via the $TIME variable (great for water caustics, among other things)?

What else can we render in iClone that won't render via the Iray plug-in?

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic