Unwanted Mails/PMs

Posted By wires 6 Years Ago
Rated 2.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Last evening I received one each Mail and PM from 2 users on this Forum.

The Mail was sent through the Forum from:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/900282a2-5de9-4ad5-9722-5d1d.png

And the PM later was sent from:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fa299d18-0133-4637-9422-207b.png

Regarding the PM, I didn't catch the space between R and L in the brackets in the message at first and thought that our fearless Mod was contacting me regarding something or other.

Anyway the sicko involved sent me in both messages a link to what is probably the worst video that has abused my eyes in ages. I have no idea just what sicko wanted from me in regard to the rubbish linked to, but kind words were not the first thing on my mind.

My point here is, how is it possible that "Members" with no posts and less than 1 hour on the Forum can sent messages to others? How the heck do these creeps manage to even get access with all the "controls" now in place?

Every time I sign in I have to select photos with Taxis, which aren't Taxis due to the fact that here our Taxi drivers use only Mercedes Benz, Walkways, known as Zebra Stripes or Pedestrian Crossings, or Store fronts, called Shop fronts here - so how come these spammers manage to slide through?

Is there any way to restrict new Members from sending such crap?

End of rant.Crazyw00t

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Postfrosch
Postfrosch
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Also yesterday I received from R2L a PM with a YT link.
I did not open this link and deleted the PM immediately
  Greetings from Germany
Postfrosch

--------------------------------------------------------------
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cd9c9a06-21a5-44c5-9f67-6810.jpg
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I had the same emails yesterday to say I had a private message. One from R2L and one from Peter(R L)

Looks like I was a lucky one, since I never got around to watching the video link (scribbled out to protect the innocent).

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

Edited
6 Years Ago by rollasoc
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

There was definitely a spammer here a day or two ago -- you guys are lucky you didn't see all the messages here on the forum (when I got up here at around 5am EST there were literally dozens of spam posts in dozens of threads that all had that video link).  I assume Peter removed all of them and banned that user, but apparently he had already sent out these spam emails and PMs to folks (I got one).  Since he's now banned we won't be getting anymore until he creates another account.

I don't know how you can prevent spammers from any forum -- the several I admin have controls in place that verify IP and I also confirm email accounts but anyone can generate an email addy and new IP.  Peter actually does a really good job policing in this regard (and folks who know me know the two of us seldom agree on anything :>Wink.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Ahhhh,  I got one too but when I clicked on the link to the private message I supposedly got from Peter and it just went to the forum home page. Now I get what is going on and why there is no message.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Yeah - Yikes! I just thought the guy was  just 'over enthusiastically sharing' @first - then the avalanche of threads and such, Wow. I must also agree with Mike that the forum admins here really do an excellent job - otherwise we would be inundated with this kind of crap on a daily basis! Thank you Peter & all @ RL. 
~V~ 

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I, too, got two PMs.

I quickly let the real Peter(RL) know he was being imprersonated.

There are controls in place to deter people from quickly creating new aliases and spamming the forum, but they possibly only apply to actual posts.  Are there any similar deterents to newbies sending PMs?  Good question.

I don't know the details about the deterents, but I believe it is something like your first 5 messages need moderator approval before being visible, or something along those lines.  I've seen other forums where there are restrictions like that.  If someone want's to behave badly after being banned, he will at least need to behave for a while and fool the moderator until he gains full permissions to post freely.  It's not perfect, but it's a reasonable deterent.

So here's another public THANK YOU to Peter(RL) for cleaning up the debris left by human garbage.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

I am very much aware of the efforts being taken by RL to eliminate spam and hate posts here on the Forum, and I do appreciate the work done by Peter on our behalf in this regard, but it would help if there was some sort of contact control for new members to avoid incidents like those above.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I got the PM too. 

I thought that a change was made such that new members' posts need to go through some form of moderation before being actually visible, but apparently something went wrong with that. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

hj
hj
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.5K reputation)

That is the first time in 10 Years RL-forum.
2 mails were to be deleted and to send Peter a message.
Everything works. No excitement when one happens times

Hans Jörgen

Fehler gehören zum Leben.
Was zählt, ist, wie man auf Fehler reagiert
Niki Giovanni
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a2f83b8-b491-4e74-bf8b-6a98.jpg

Reading This Topic