Profile Picture

Any way to rotate a character's head by a specific number of degrees?

Posted By longlast 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Any way to rotate a character's head by a specific number of degrees?

Author
longlast
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)Senior Member (409 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I'm using Character Creator Lite 2.3.2611.1
Can anyone tell me whether there's a way to rotate a character's head by a specific number of degrees? I.e. I want to be able to either (1) type in a value of 45 for X rotation and see the head rotate to that exact angle, or (2) rotate the head using the mouse, but see some display of what exact angle I'm at.

The only way I've found to rotate the head is by using the mouse with the Pose Editing window, but it doesn't show me angles. If I go to the Visual Settings window, I can type in rotation values for the environment, but I don't see any equivalent for the 3D model. Seems really strange that this would be available for the environment but not for the 3D character model, so just checking that I'm not missing something.

wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
You can rotate any limb/bone of a character inside iClone, but not in CC as it isn't an animation tool. Using the Motion Puppet in iClone you can rotate the head on any of the 3 axis using the mouse, however there are no options to enter an angle value. The only way to achieve a given angle is to make the final adjustments using the Curve Editor plugin for iClone.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 31 minutes ago
Actually, you *can* modify a character's pose inside of CC -- press "N" (for pose editing) and then you can choose a specific body part or whatever.  However, you can't rotate a specific number of degrees there.

Inside of iClone you could do this but it would require setting something up -- put a dummy object aligned to the head (you'll need to do this manually but it's easy) and then another dummy set outside the body at some distance away at the same height (think of it as the perimeter of a circle).  Link this second dummy to the first.  Then go to your avatar and choose "Look at" and make it that second dummy, and slide the slider all the way over to "Head" (so it's the head that turns and not just the eyes).

Now you can rotate the first object and the second will rotate along that perimeter outside the avatar, and the head will rotate as well.  You can enter the exact number of degrees in the X transform of the rotate.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
*clever*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Yeah, it's a kludge but it works (I tried it first to be sure).  I actually saw this post last night and thought about the rig but figured someone else would post it.  When I saw that Gerry had replied I clicked on it *sure* he had figured it out (he's a very clever guy).

What I can't figure out is WHY anyone would *want* to rotate an avatar head a precise number of degrees, and that bothers me <g>.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Mike !
>>> What I can't figure out is WHY anyone would *want* to rotate an avatar head a precise number of degrees, and that bothers me <g>.  <<<
lol ... that  cracks me up ! ..... (absolutely no disrespect to the poster - but that is
funny) .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

My wife says I worry too much about things, but the truth is the entire world and everything in it interests me, and I just want to KNOW (and, yes, I won't even scratch the surface, but I keep trying.  The most interesting part at my age is I think I forget almost as much old stuff as the new stuff I learn).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

>>>> The most interesting part at my age is I think I forget almost as much old stuff as the new stuff I learn). <<<<

Lol, yes, I can relate....
My daughter tells everyone that her 'dad' is *great value* for telling jokes to ... because .... he 'laughs' just as much when she tells the joke 2nd or 3rd time around (because he's *forgotten* the punch line) lol ...  Whistling  ...

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
HEAD ROTATION:

I immediately had the same question as KT.  WHY the need to rotate a specific number of degrees?

Why does the "why" matter?
a) Perhaps that will lead us to a different and better solution.
b) Simple curiosity.

JOKES AND LAUGHING:

Why does a <enter target here, such as "blonde"> laugh at a joke three times?
First, when you tell the joke.
Then laughs more when you explain the joke.
Finally, much later, laughs the most when he/she finally catches on to the joke.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
To be honest I have never, as in not once, had a situation where I needed to turn any part of a character a specific number of degrees. My Curve Editor "solution" was basically arrived at due to just how much control this tool provides without applying dummies and what not.

Mikes' solution is excellent in its' simplicity and execution that it should have slapped me in the face when I first read the question. It would seem that some of these new tools that we now have are blinding some of us (me) to the tried and trusted methods of times gone by.

By the way, I would also love to know why anyone would need to have a fixed degree for a body part turn. 

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Reading This Topic