Profile Picture

Banding caused by soft shadows - how can it be resolved?

Posted By yancowles 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Banding caused by soft shadows - how can it be resolved?

Author
yancowles
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi all,
I've got an issue on my renders which can be seen in the attached image (if you enlarge it), to wit, the grey colour of the panel is showing rather nasty banding that makes it look like corrugated cardboard.
I know it's being caused by the soft shadow setting but if you turn this off then nasty artifacts appear on characters hairlines and such like. This could be an option for some shots but not many in my project.
I've also tried different render settings, high quality shadows, different sized shadow maps and whilst these do help they don't solve the issue and can massively increase the render times in the case of HQS.
Any suggestions?

thanks,https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/77b03b98-119f-448c-88c4-580e.png
Yan
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
There seems to be a square with Little opacity on top of those buttons, have you tried removing it?
yancowles
yancowles
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Er, yes, that's a perspex cover.
I don't think it's got anything to do with the banding.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
This is a bug. I could not overcome it either, other than setting object not to receive the shadow. Probably needs to be entered into FT tracker.

https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost355346.aspx

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
yancowles (7/11/2018)
Hi all,
I've got an issue on my renders which can be seen in the attached image (if you enlarge it), to wit, the grey colour of the panel is showing rather nasty banding that makes it look like corrugated cardboard.
I know it's being caused by the soft shadow setting but if you turn this off then nasty artifacts appear on characters hairlines and such like. This could be an option for some shots but not many in my project.
I've also tried different render settings, high quality shadows, different sized shadow maps and whilst these do help they don't solve the issue and can massively increase the render times in the case of HQS.
Any suggestions?

thanks,https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/77b03b98-119f-448c-88c4-580e.png
Yan

Hi Yan,

Can you send us a download link for your project so we can check the issue. You can use cloud services like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive etc to generate a download link.

You can then send it to Support referencing this post or send me a PM with the link.

Thanks.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
this kinda looks like there is a height map of some sort underneath being interpreted.. if so delete any normal/bump/height (grey or blue maps) and see if that removes the problem.  Dunno though just a guess but this is probably what i would try first i would check me bump maps.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
6 Years Ago by urbanlamb
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 minutes ago
I also have found banding being a real problem recently and one of the remedies I use is adding noise to the Diffuse map and/or the Bump/Normal map. There also seems to be interference when you have two layers of opacity.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
As Lamb says, bump is what I'd suspect -- if there are bump maps they need to be no more than around 12 or so (they will come in MUCH higher, like at 100, which is way too much).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I use DaVinci Resolve for colour correction/editing/audio - there are a ton of useful OFX plugins (not so many in the free version), one of which is 'debanding' (which is available in the free version).  Like all good things it's best used in moderation ;-)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1c63184f-062a-4bc4-b0f2-eb99.png
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Just so I can *understand* what's being spoken of here, I take it that Yan is speaking of this?:
(exaggerated)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c600f59d-5643-495d-b61b-ec36.png

And Mark has shown DaVinci Resolve's correction of this?
(exaggerated)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a2a0f94c-5c5b-42c2-a1e8-8750.png

If I'm understanding this correctly?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Reading This Topic