Profile Picture

Banding caused by soft shadows - how can it be resolved?

Posted By yancowles 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Banding caused by soft shadows - how can it be resolved?

Author
urbanlamb
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Months Ago
I am looking at the big box on the bottom right with the word female above it and the two knobs.   Although the lines might be as well.  Without looking at the file its hard to tell.  Normal maps will cause this (well bump maps) and it might not show up until render.    

What your showing is not the same and looks like its from your graphics card. but without looking at the rest of things its hard to tell. 

Again a lot of this is just guessing because without being next to the person looking at the file and his pc its just a lot of guesswork.  Can't see the diffuse or albedo map or whatever (again they like to shuffle wording around although diffuse can include shadows baked in) or the normal maps so it might be entirely texture based or.. your pc or.. a combination of the two orr a bug ^^.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
2 Years Ago by urbanlamb
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago

Well I'm lost .... I'm not sure if we're all on the same page really ??
Yan said:. " ... to wit, the grey colour of the panel is showing rather nasty banding that makes it look like corrugated cardboard... "
I thought that meant the part in my posting #pic 1 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.73  3DXChange Pro  CC-3 Pipeline  CT-8  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body Mocap  Popcorn FX  PopVideo  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve16  Mixcraft 8.1 Pro

Edited
2 Years Ago by sonic7
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

the banding and the box (the box kinda pushed it over the edge for me.. which is why i opened up my keyboard) are not showing any colour with the exception of some shadow greyish and it looks bevelled.  I see colour in yours.    That's the difference there.  In his is just looking like err texture.     Its hard to explain (sorry) Sad

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
2 Years Ago by urbanlamb
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.7K reputation)

No need to apologise urbanlamb  Smile  - it's purely a misunderstandaing  .... it comes down to what Yan means by 'Panel'
ie: the entire photo OR a smaller part in it.
But there IS the same pattern throughout the entire pic that I'm seeing (when the 'levels' are tweaked to emphasize the pattern) .....

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/abb45465-7338-4172-9e01-621e.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7b53e008-4d1b-4d0c-9325-ae59.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.73  3DXChange Pro  CC-3 Pipeline  CT-8  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body Mocap  Popcorn FX  PopVideo  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve16  Mixcraft 8.1 Pro

Edited
2 Years Ago by sonic7
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

the bands are the same regardless of lighting and shadows etc etc so I am fairly certain this is texture based.    (I could be wrong though) 
Yours looks like its all from your card.    There is also inside iclone an ambient occlusion layer which is created from your card not the texture but.. I dont see anything interfering with the problem with I see.     (although I see two but we wont go there)
 ..and this is why critiquing on a forum with such a diverse community is probably not a good thing hehe.   

Dr. Seuss

Edited
2 Years Ago by urbanlamb
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah, well Yan will sort it through the right channels .... I was just trying to understand what was being spoken about .....

illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I just realized I had an 'embedded' colour profile which made the image darker... this should show the "Resolve deband" improvement a little better.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c5f66e22-fe81-4159-911a-31ca.png
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
To illustrate the result of using Resolve's "debanding" plugin...  of course, the better solution is that the cause of this artifact be fixed.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/24f52fb9-da8d-4cc9-834b-ebe7.png
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hey Mark - this last set of pics you posted - it's as different as *night & day* ! 
Stunning difference - I'm duly impressed !!!  Smile

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The boob thing she has happening in that photo is also likely a normal map/bump map thing possibly if it the normals were painted at a higher resolution her boob problem would be gone.    

Dr. Seuss

Reading This Topic