Profile Picture

"The Ducks of Langerhans" Part 1 (full animation)

Posted By AniMajik 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
AniMajik
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 days ago
"The Ducks of Langerhans" Part 1 "The Summoning" -  Genre: Fantasy

Prolog 00:41 sec : 

Ducks of Langerhans  16:57 :  

(Also playing on FatCatAlley.net and DuckofLangerhans.com)

My first major video using iCone 7.2

-AniMajik

Alien Maniac
Alien Maniac
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Very nice work....... Keep em coming.

MSI GE66 Raider, Intel 10th Gen, I7, SC Turbo to 5.3 GHZ, 240HZ, 64GB 3300 Ram,  2x 1TB M2 SSD Drives, NVIDIA GPU RTX 2070/8GB, 55" Sony 4K Monitor  External data drives total 7 TB. and an AUDIO Studio Recording system.

jlittle
jlittle
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Very good story.

I know it must have taken a lot of hard work but I did have some issues with the implementation. This is only my opinion and is meant only as constructive criticism/feedback from a viewers (namely me) standpoint. Since there is another thread (What's Up - iClone community) that bemoans the lack of feedback from the community I decided to start providing my two cents and try to help others with some kind of feedback rather than just sitting back, watching silently and saying nothing.
If I ever published an iClone movie I would hope others would do the same.

My biggest problem was that I could not distinguish between each of the ducks. I was never sure who was talking (with the voices all the same), the Mayor, or someone else. It was a good idea to put up the text balloons since they were hard to understand. Later, with the Mayor and Marigold exploring, right before the ducknapping, you had a top hat on the mayor and a bow tie on Marigold which identified each of them perfectly. That same concept should have been used from the beginning to help the viewer identify between characters. It would have been better if each duck had it's own "trade-mark" bit of clothing, i.e. Top Hat, bow tie, straight tie, necklace, arm band, vest, etc. so that the viewer could discern which duck was which.

Later on when the group of ducks were searching for Marigold, one of the ducks sported a bow tie sporadically from scene to scene. Since it was a different duck from Marigold (who wore a black bow tie) the bow tie should have been a different color and should have appeared in every scene for that duck.

Then the scene with Marigold in the cave had what looked like his feet coming out of his hips. That was a confusing visual.

These were the glaring things that caught my attention and wanted to point out.

Great work on the eyes and especially the ducks mouth movements. Good cameras angles and backgrounds. I liked the use of the popcorn effects. Sound effects and music were very good too.

I'm looking forward to part 2 to see how the Ducks will vanquish their foe and rescue Marigold.

Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Respect for the amount of work doing this (16 minutes) nice little movie...
As jlittle already mentioned, criticism will help you improve your work Wink
I did not watch the whole movie, scrolled a bit around...
First thing i noticed is you did not polish your animations:
when the arms go into the body, clean that up with "edit motion layer"...
When the ducks walk over the hilly terrain with "foot contact" enabled, you sometimes will have to adjust their height
so their feet don't get pushed into the body. It looks weird and is no big issue to polish.
The ducks look cool, but the wizzard is a bit "off" from his graphical appearance, looks "cheap".
BUT i love the voices of the ducks, even if you can not understand everything they said, they made me laugh BigGrin
Altogether a nice piece of work!

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
That was F*&#ing amazing!
So disappointed when it ended!
That world is awesome.
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I thought it was a cool story. The issues brought up by the previous commentators goes for me as well.
If you meant for the ducks to have feet, I would follow the advice from toystorylab, if however you meant for
them to sort of scoot along with out foot movement you'll either have to make their feet physically smaller by changing
the avatar proportion for the feet or 'black out the feet with an opacity. You can only cut the proportion down by 50%, but if you
save the duck with 50% feet and then add it to the scene again you can reduce the size another 50%. Rinse and
repeat to go even smaller. I made an avatar of Admiral Nelson once and had to reduce his right arm by, as I recall, 200%.

No feet?...No problem Tongue

Cool pete 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@AniMajik .....
● Lots of work involved with this story, so to 'achieve' this end result is a credit to you!
● Very effective use of both visual and sound FX - (lot's of work there).
● I 'wished' (really wished), I could have more clearly understood the character's voices (avoiding the text overlays),  - but once you'd committed to that approach it was probably too late to back peddle.
● Lighting continuity and image grading would have helped *if* you were intending to match your 'close-ups' with your 'wide' shots.
● Animation wise (and I'm no expert here), but the fact you 'completed' a full 16 minutes of it, all I can say is "Well done"!.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
AniMajik
AniMajik
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)Veteran Member (911 reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
Hi All,

Thank you for your critique of "The Ducks," I do appreciate it.
I also realized that telling the Duck apart (especially the three together. "Duck," "Kiwi," and "Kimchee" were a bit hard to distinguish.  In part two I will add some clothing item to each of the 3 to make them more distinguishable.

The other two ducks, "Gordon" (with the hat) and "Merigold" (with the bow-tie) were done later after I realized this issue!

I am still learning this incredible animation tool and love its power.
This project is my first full animation with iClone (other than tests).

I will strive to improve things in part 2 (and other work).  iClone is still a big learning curve with me.

-AniMajik

Edited
6 Years Ago by AniMajik
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
"Iclone is a big learning curve for me."

It is for all of us. I doubt anyone has explored all of it's potential.
Keep on truckin' Each one will get better and better.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee

Reading This Topic