Profile Picture

While using 'Find File', iClone 7 Crashed, and a Whole Folder of Custom Content was Wiped Out?!

Posted By TonyDPrime 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

While using 'Find File', iClone 7 Crashed, and a Whole Folder of...

Author
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
While in the Content folder menu, I had used 'Find File' to open a character inside a Win 10 explorer folder.  This character was located in a sub-folder in my Custom character folder.
But, while the Windows 10 file folder was opened, iClone 7 crashed. 
And somehow now, the whole folder was either destroyed, or lost, or moved by iClone to some temp directory, because it is no longer on the drive anymore!!!
I have no idea what happened to the folder now, it is just gone from the drive.  No search is pulling it back up...
Any ideas where it may be, RL?
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

You know what, I just created a Test folder in a Custom content character sub-folder.  And when I select it in the iClone menu and hit the delete key, it pops up with a dialogue that asks if I want to delete the selected file items
If I select 'Yes', it deletes them.  But it does not put them in the Win 10 Recycle bin. 

So, where do they go? -  are they gone for good, or do they get put in some temp folder?  
Because if it truly just deletes them, then this seems very dangerous, as items may inexplicably, say due to a crash or something, just likewise be eliminated!!!
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
iClone isn't the only App to act in the way you have experienced when deleting items from within the App. They do not get placed in the Recycle Bin, nor is there a Temp folder that contains them. The only really "safe" way to delete items is outside the App using Windows Explorer - at least that way they do go to the Recycle Bin first.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
6 Years Ago by wires
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The thing of it is is that I am not even sure it is deleted.  Just that when I actually purposefully deleted the Test folder - and I understand what you mean, it is gone, as in not recoverable through traditional recovery in the Recycle bin sense - it seemed to be a similar event matching the custom folder I had after the crash.  Just gone, without a visible trace. 
But I'm hoping there is a temp folder in the iClone realm of things that it may be held in somehow...Crying
Edited
6 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
TonyDPrime (7/6/2018)
While in the Content folder menu, I had used 'Find File' to open a character inside a Win 10 explorer folder.  This character was located in a sub-folder in my Custom character folder.
But, while the Windows 10 file folder was opened, iClone 7 crashed. 
And somehow now, the whole folder was either destroyed, or lost, or moved by iClone to some temp directory, because it is no longer on the drive anymore!!!
I have no idea what happened to the folder now, it is just gone from the drive.  No search is pulling it back up...
Any ideas where it may be, RL?

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear you encountered a crash using iClone

Obviously using "Find File" should not cause a crash nor permanently delete anything. I personally use "Find File" a lot any I've not encountered any crashes so it appears a local system hardware issue. Sadly hardware issues can strike at any time so it is always vital to keep backups of important files should issues like this occur.

I have passed this to the iClone development team to review. If they have any comments or suggestions on this issue I will update again to let you know.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic