Cat with only one functioning eyelid

Posted By 4u2ges 6 Years Ago
Rated 3 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
It looks like for years the default iClone cat only had one functioning eyelid.. i.e. left eye could not be closed (I checked iClone6 - it had the same one-eyelid functioning cat). Apparently the developer forgot to attach the mesh to Bone04.
Fixing the eyelid was not hard. The hardest part was actually bringing the perform actions back to the fixed cat. There are still lot of small glitches and bugs after making a round trip (iClone > fbx > Blender > 3DX > iClone). Anyhow I attached a fixed cat to this post so you can now make a pissed off puss like pictured, or just add a nice touch to existing actions by closing/opening eyes.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a20c9aff-a114-44eb-96d7-11e7.jpg

There is one bug I could not overcome. Adding the perform action in iClone7 adds 12-16 static frames at the beginning of the clip. This causes an interruption while extending walking motion for instance. 
So after applying a perform action, scrub from the beginning of the clip to the point where action starts, break the clip at that point and delete left part. Need to visit FT for this bug.

Attachments
cat_FIXED.zip (133 views, 1,000.00 KB)
Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
That's one-pissed-puss!  Hehe ~V~

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

It's amazing! Can you make a video on a round trip (iClone > fbx > Blender > 3DX > iClone)?

Thank you!

My YouTube channel.
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
a simpler way might have been using vertex morphs in expression editor

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

@Val Wink

@wendyluvscatz  I love morphs. And that was my first choice - easy to make - easy to use. But then I wanted to make it right and match the method of the existing eyelid movement. Slight advantage of that is also to have a little more control with different axis for eyelid movement/rotation to convey a different cat's mood with half opened eyes, whereas with morphs I would have to create a separate morph for each mood.

@dogged2003 Thanks! What part are you interested exactly? The round trip was pretty much straightforward. From iClone export to FBX (selecting "Blender as target preset). Then import that FBX to Blender. Fix the eyelid. Then again export to FBX from Blender. Open resulted FBX in 3DX and send back to iClone. Restore material.
So the little work I've done was actually fixing the eyelid in Blender. This was an exceptional case where I just created missing vertex group and weight painted to the specific bone. I am not sure if this experience can be applied generally to a wide range of tasks we face on daily bases and if it would have much of the interest.
Restoring perform actions is a different story. There was a number obstacles including changed bone structure after Blender. Then after figuring that, the cat was up-scaling when ripped action was applied. Then finally an iClone bug with adding static frames to perform actions. If I put all to the video it would be long and helluva boring w00t

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

4u2ges (7/5/2018)

I tried to do the same.
Transfer the avatar to the blender with movements, change and return to iClone.
The movements did not work after this.
Bones look better in a blender, if the goal is to put Maya (I do not remember exactly).
But it turns out an extra bone ... I did not bring to the digestible result.

My YouTube channel.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@dogged2003 Yes, that is exactly what is happening (but remember, you were dealing with character, while cat is just a prop with bones, so the outcome might be different in your case). Blender adds extra end bones with fbx export. You may uncheck "Add leaf bones" under armature section in FBX export screen in Blender. But that did not make any difference in my case.

In any case, too lazy to make a video, I'll just explain.

After the round trip the cat lost all perform actions (that was expected).
So I did save all clips in advance thinking when the cat is back to iClone, I simply load saved animations and add them back to perform. Wrong! That did not work.
I believe because I made changes in Blender (or simply because of export/import), the saved clips failed to load on a new cat.
Next, I brought both cats (old and new) to the scene and to the timeline.
Then played first action on the old cat (Idle), then did copy/paste resulted clip from old cat to the new right on the timeline (thanks to RL for adding this feature in IC7).
This time it worked. However, the new cat was up-scaling when I copy/paste the clip to it's timeline.
After struggling for some time, I figured I have to (Important!) "Sample Animation Clip" before copy/paste operation. Then It worked out perfectly.
Last problem, as I mentioned already, was (and still is) adding to perform creates static frames at the beginning. But that is something RL should be fixing... soon hopefully...

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here is a cat Material+. It works on the fixed cat as well as on the default one.
I used Digital Human Hair shader here, expanded Base color map with Girapixel AI and have added custom displacement map.

Apply subdivision to the cat (preferably level 2) and then drop the material to the cat.
Play with Displacement strength to your liking.
Positive values would displace up based on light parts of the displacement map (dispersed ears hair are based on light dots only).
Negative values would displace based on dark.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qazjgekx24uleoh/cat.iMtlPlus?dl=0

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0082d813-f4c8-4942-8df3-d588.jpg

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
A very nice looking cat!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

Thank you!

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

Reading This Topic