PhysX collision bug - self mesh / convex hull

Posted By Kalex 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kalex
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Hello everyone,

I'm posting again just to check with you if anyone of you have experienced the same bug that I have since iclone 6: when I try to create some custom PhysX clothes, the collision works fine when I apply the meshes with "box" or "capsule" physics. But when I apply the "convex hull" or "self mesh" physics, nothing happens. I've seen this problem in another topic but no solution for now...
Can you enlight me my fellow icloners ?
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
This is not actually a bug. Soft cloth PhysX in iClone is an Nvidia implementation. And here is a quote from Nvidia PhysX SDK manual:

---
Collision shapes are specified in local coordinates for the next frame before simulating the scene. An independent and complete collision stage is performed as part of each solver iteration, using shape positions interpolated from the values at the beginning and the end of the frame. Sphere and capsule collision supports continuous collision detection and use an acceleration structure to cull far-away particles early in the collision pipeline. Spheres and capsules are therefore the preferred choice to model the character shape, and convexes and triangles should only be used sparingly.
---

Same goes to non-character related cloth, such as blanket for instance. Convex hull might work for certain types of collision objects as I've been testing it, but could be quite unstable.

Kalex
Kalex
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Many thanks for the reply !!

Reading This Topic