Profile Picture

How much jitter does the PN really create? And what do you do to solve it?

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
Rated 1 star based on 1 vote.

How much jitter does the PN really create? And what do you do to...

Author
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago
I can't help it, I have to crowd the field some more! Wink
https://wearnotch.com

This is a Bluetooth on your phone capture solution( also works standalone). It is supposed to also have root motion capture. I got a sample of root motion from them and was able to characterize it for use in iClone.

It fits in your pocket!
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Well Mike, seeing you're in the mood for testing .... lol .....
I thought this might be the answer to 'low budget' - but the 'Starter Kit' of this (Rampa's link), is $379 (one kit) .... - Not sure how many kits you'd need to *match* PN. Is that what you went with Rampa? - 1 kit? ... or 2, or 3?   Maybe we could have a thread for this too ..... Smile

Edit: I just re-read Rampa's post …. ".... I got a sample of root motion from them.... "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I've been watching that one for a couple years now. No not really cheap, but potentially pretty good. I think you need 3 sets (18) for full body. You might get by with just 2 sets (12) though if you leave off hands and feet.

I'm going to keep just watching it, as it seems to develop rather slowly.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Rampa
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Yeah, I had seen that previously.  Costwise it's similar to the VIVE (although software obviously is cheaper and not reoccuring).  It was one of the "perhaps by the time my iPisoft license runs out it'll be ready for Prime Time" I had in my sights, but when I look at it it's a LOT of money for something without a track record.

In essence that's what you pay for with any of this -- you want something that has been through the grind of users and then refined to where it performs.  There's no question PN has that (and Mr. K -- I don't think version 2.0 is going to be better other than they just improved the straps.  The IMUs are still the same, and the software, while upgraded, can be used on version 1.0 as well).

Also -- hands are kind of important to me.  PN is the only low-cost solution that can do them (even their $$$ Pro version can't do it).  Yes, others have reported issues with it, but even if I just get halfway there it will be a tremendous improvement over what I can do now.  As an actor I'm VERY aware of how important hands are to the acting process (which is why the whole Leap thing was such a disappointment to me, particularly when with just a little software change they could have fixed the biggest issue).

And -- as I said earlier, even if the PN turns out not to be my ultimate capture solution it will be nice to have, as you really can't have too many mocap suits (or at least you can certainly use two of them).  If a year from now I decide to get something else but the PN is still working, that's good too.  

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
kungphu
kungphu
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
You can always unload the suit on eBay if it doesn’t work out for ya. They pop up on there from time to time so there’s some people buying and selling them.

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
well i have come to the conclusion that still my "old fashioned" ways are probably the best way forward with the exception of hands.  Well its not just a recent conclusion, but the information has yet to change my mind.     The thing with mocap is if its time consuming to clean it up i get that "i should just do it by hand its just as slow" feeling.     The fact most of what I do is on the side of "cartoon" anyhow i have to do a lot of work reworking anything predone anyhow.  So my only decision is between leap and the kit for hands from perception neuron.    

Anyhow at the speed I go these days I dont need either right now and probably will end up keyframing hands as well.  Although I have always found hands difficult to do manually.    Anyhow thanks for the testing yet again.     Although part of me is thinking you probably would get farther faster doing this manually as well at this point due to the time your taking to test things.    It also must be getting expensive at this point.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I am a bit late at the party but I think the Perception Neuron has a reasonable amount of jitters but become more obvious when walking a little further away and turning around. If your feet stay still while you capture upper body motions or if you walk a bit you can get away without cleaning. (a bit like the movie I PMed two day ago).  I did some tests today but had a crash while trying to swap characters and had no time to export anything. 

Kellytoons, the things with the hands is they get magnetized really easily while using the mouse to capture your data. I think it is a great idea to try the perception neuron to make your own tests and see if you like it. Kungphu gave you a nice tip to troubleshoot the bad neurons from the start. Just plug everything and let it stand on a yoga mattress for a while then swap every neuron that seems to get off after 5 minutes. Then put the suit on and recalibrate every 2 or 3 minutes. You should have decent capture.

The first few time it might seems a bit of work but after a few times you will find it is quite easy to setup.  The hardest thing when starting is to attach the arm strap with one hand.  Smile

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

kungphu
kungphu
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ditto on the arm strap with one hand! But yeah, after doing it over and over you get a system down.

My "NEWEST" LatestSmile  Movie Made With Amaaaazing iClone

—> High Noon”ish” in Narrow Valley<—

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
It's being delivered today so I'll know pretty quickly (maybe not today since it's a tennis day, but tomorrow for sure).  I suspect if I use the "two person" system of capture I can avoid hand issues (with my wife or I running it for the other there won't be any mouse/keyboard issues).  We may well have "drift" due to the fact I can't find any place in our house that's relatively low Tesla (45-47 is about the average -- the garage is actually the best but it's way too hot right now to be capturing there.  Perhaps this fall).  As you say, I can recalibrate.

I also been told it makes a difference in capturing using Live in iClone (which I will *not* be doing) versus the native PN software -- some folks like it far better outside of iClone, with far less jitter and drift.  But in any case the jitter won't bother me if I have to run it through WebAnimate, which others have used very successfully.  In any case, by the end of the weekend I'll have a pretty good idea if this is going to work for me or not.

Lamb -- everyone has things he or she can do well, or like to do (usually -- not always, but usually -- if you are good at doing something it's something you like to do).  I'm pretty lousy at animation, almost any kind of animation.  Not really my wheelhouse (far better at lighting, direction, sound and writing, although not in that order :>Wink.  So anything which speeds up the process and/or makes it more "fun" is something very, very important to me.  I know from working with various capture systems that even something that is onerous to use is better for me than hand animating.  Also, more and more I get frustrated using canned motions -- it's just WAY too much trouble to have a character do a little something I want when the canned motion does the opposite.  Or some such.  So mocap is as essential to my process as, say, creating characters using CC might be to someone else.  But everyone is different, and everyone has a different toleration.

I will say as an actor that getting "oversized" or cartoon motions isn't hard at all -- that's "acting" and that happens to be something I *am* good at (and, therefore, enjoy doing).  Again, everyone is different and YMMV but really SHOULD vary <g>.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

"..... I'm pretty lousy at animation, almost any kind of animation ...……
So anything which speeds up the process and/or makes it more "fun" is something very, very important to me ..... "
"Ditto Mike" - my thoughts too ….

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7

Reading This Topic