Recording hands causes root reset

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I'm going to risk a forum faux pas and double post because I think this might be either a critical problem with LIVE or my understanding of it (I really hope it's the latter).

I have a motion applied to my character and they move away from their root (as they should -- they are walking around from a mocap capture session, so in order to move around they need to get progressively further from that root or it will look as if they are "floating").  Now I overlay the LIVE capture of Leap hands and... suddenly they are stuck to the root and "float".  Not good.  Not good at all.

This isn't by design, I hope -- is there some way to prevent this behavior?  I suppose one alternative might be to save the hands out separately EXCEPT I'm also animating the hands (which you can NOT save separately.  RL is really making us pay for their very poor design decision to only allow fingers to be saved).  So I'm basically screwed unless we can somehow deal with this (I guess at this point my alternative is to take WebAnimate and combine animations but it would really suck if iClone can't handle this very basic situation).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
At this point I would strongly recommend everyone stay far away from Motion LIVE -- it appears that it will erase the root motion of a clip it is applied to (and I see no way to prevent this).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 46 minutes ago
I think what we run into here is that iClone has only one layer for motions, so it is not possible to combine existing and new motions (other than through keyframe animation). 

The only convoluted way I can think of is to add the new motion via the Motion Puppet, because this allows you to preserve the existing motion through masking. That only works if there are no earlier hand motions.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

argus1000
argus1000
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Kellytoons

It's true that if you capture with Motion leap controller, the character moves away from its roots  at first. It floats. But if you save the hand gestures in the gesture directory, , then re-apply the original animation to the character first, and  then apply the hand gestures that you saved second, it won't float anymore. It will be steady as a rock. And you will be able to edit you hand gestures at will (change the timing and position, etc) .

So nothing to worry about.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d49211ce-15b3-41da-8f15-adb5.png

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA
argus1000
argus1000
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
One thing that bothers me about iClone  is that when you capture hand movements with the Leap Motion Controller, and save the motion in the gesture directory, it saves only the finger movements. Why only the fingers? It would be great if iClone could save the hand movements too. The hand movements are important.

Sure, I could save the hand movements in the Motion directory, but then I couldn't add  those  movements to the general movements of the figure.

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA

Reading This Topic