Profile Picture

Searching the content manager? Think different…

Posted By garylearntech 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Idea.png
garylearntech
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi All!  I have seen several queries around here over the months about searching the Content Manager for specific items.  For example (and I'm paraphrasing here): 
"I'm looking for Walking actions and they're spread throughout the Content Manager"
"I can't find content I've purchased - I don't know where it was installed"

I think most users will agree that CTA3 has scope for improvement in this area. Whistling

The most recent query I saw was Data Juggler's "Is there a way to search the Content Manager?" in the CTA General forum, where I was able to post a new approach I had just discovered and hadn't previously seen documented anywhere.  I'm not going to repeat myself here, so check out that post for the background details.

Long story short, I have created an Excel spreadsheet which contains pretty much all the G3 content packs as well as the key G2 packs and have shared a version online:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ApJN8sXwezCmug81Rv3tS07PYreY

Over 3,000 G3 characters, props, motions, accessories, scenes, etc are listed - along with over 1,500 G2 items.

There are several different approaches to how this data might be used, so I'm not going to try to document them all here.  I'm actually using it as a simple database, so try sorting and/or filtering the different columns, depending on your goals.  I have placed some introductory comments on the opening sheet, with the main data on the second sheet (If that's not clear, hopefully you'll see what I mean when you open the link).

This is my first attempt at presenting the data this way and long experience has shown me that I might want to tweak it over the coming days.

I hope somebody finds it useful.  Constructive feedback or suggestions welcomed…

---
Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline (always the current production version, unless otherwise stated)
Mac mini M1, macOS Big Sur (11.6.5)
Signature data last updated 2022-05-15

garrypye
garrypye
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Garry, this is a huge effort and an awesome resource for CTA3 users. I have downloaded it and it is really well set out. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us. 

Garry Pye
www.facebook.com/garrypyeanimations?ref=bookmarks
hebrew777
hebrew777
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)Senior Member (366 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Much appreciated Gary! This will help immensely. I am hoping Reallusion will incorporate an explorer type engine in upcoming versions of CTA.

Reading This Topic