Xsens Mocap suit

Posted By Dr. Nemesis 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Does anyone here have any experience with either of the Xsens mocap suits with Iclone?
Taking a look but there isn't as much info out there as I'd like.

Edit: I'm aware of the info in this thread but was wondering if anyone else had tried since then.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Dr. Nemesis
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I know you didn't ask (so don't shoot the messenger -- I just thought I'd mention it just in case you were as unaware as I was) but there is a pretty great alternative to any of the mocap suits.  It looks to have the same accuracy, at a lesser cost and much easier use (the main drawback is the annual cost, but given the fragility of the mocap suits you might save money in the long run anyway).

It's the IKinema Orion software, used the with VIVE hardware.  I wish I had known about this before I invested in another technology, but I've already bought the hardware and will be testing early next week.  The hardware has the advantage of also working with Brekel's much cheaper software (which is only a one-time investment, to boot) and looks to be much more durable than any mocap suit, while offering the same superb capture abilities.

The only other drawback is it won't work in Motion LIVE, so if this is a deal breaker then please forget I mentioned it at all.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Not a problems, KT, thanks for that. I hope you tell us how it goes for you, I'd love to know.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Yeah, I will be sure posting on my YouTube channel my experiences with it (and of course, with iClone).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
I always looked at the Xsens as the best product, but my oh my, the cost.
But, I imagine it still...Just to have the ability to slip on a suit and act out the motion with little hassle and setup would be amazing.  

The whole bit with the Orion-Vive seems like there will be multiple steps involved. 
And for me, I am probably the worst animator in any iClone discussion, so there is a bias there.  If it aint fast, I grow weary. 
And not because I am afraid to do the work, but because I don't know how to do the work.  Blush
Edited
6 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Tony,

I assume you mean by "multiple steps" you are thinking that with some sort of amazing mocap suit there won't be any cleanup?  Because there is ALWAYS cleanup, no matter what you are using.  It's the nature of mocap.

There have to be some assumptions made, no matter how the data is captured, and those assumptions have to include a wide range of possibilities.  Hell,  even the movie studios spend many many hours cleaning up their $$$ mocap stuff.

If, OTOH, you just mean that you will need to import the data from Orion versus having it come into iClone natively, I actually think that's an advantage, due to the aforementioned cleanup.  IOW, if it comes directly into iClone you will need to then export it to use something like Motionbuilder or WebAnimate to clean things up (don't get me started on the curve editor, a very poor substitute for either of those programs -- you will spend the rest of your life cleaning up data there).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
diomkal
diomkal
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Kellytoons, i have to agree with you. I´m using now IKinema Orion software  with VIVE hardware + Iclone.
It works very well for me. In the beginning you have to understand the processes. After that, I put all the other Mocap system aside.
I'm not saying that they are not good. For me it was easier and appropriate for what I expected.

One more thing: I am working with an earlier version. I had some problems with one of the new version.
I could still look for it if someone is interested in it.

Here's what I sent to this forum a while ago
https://youtu.be/5zpBh5_TpUk
Edited
6 Years Ago by diomkal
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the info -- that video looks pretty terrific (and I didn't see it before, but I wasn't looking for mocap solutions at that time).

I hope that using a latter version won't be an issue so if you have a link to the earlier one it might be useful to have it (I assume the license key will work on either version, so once I buy it I should be okay.  I will be trying out the demo first in any case).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Yes great video.  I really like the crossed legs and arms test. This is something hard to do with the Perception Neuron without having one part of the body going thru another body part. 

I wonder if there is a way to record the hands with a little more relaxed look.   Most video I seen shown pretty stiff karate hands.
DiomKal, Is there a way to capture hands in a more natural way? I am sure the leap controller and Motion Live plugin will help but
I would prefer to capture natural hands first than record the fingers with the leap.

Thank you.

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
BTW - I think a very very limited number of participants, if any, in this forum have any experience with Xsen$.  
If they do, it was a loaner or a marketing event or something, but they did not go out and purchase it, as in buying for ongoing ownership, like we do, with a Faceware camera, a Kinect, a PN suit, a Leap Motion Controller, etc.  

Reading This Topic