The addition of 'Glint'

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

There's a Boris FX plugin called 'glint' which has a great look when it's added to iClone 'lights' - in post. (gives you a 'starburst' sort of look)
Problem is ... how to obtain this Open-FX plug-in for
Vegas Movie Studio ...
The great thing about it is, -- as you 'move' the camera, the glint 'changes' (interacts) so it adds a 'live', 'dynamic' feel to your video.
My recent purchase of 'Vegas Movie Studio' (by MAGIX), has a stripped down version of
'Boris Continuum' - but only a very few of these FX are actually 'free'. The vast majority, including the 'glint' effect are only available (as far as I know), by purchasing the 'full' (multi-hundred $) version of Boris. So I'm trying to figure a way to get the 'look' of this 'glint'. Would anyone have any ideas or suggestions? ..... thnx. Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1de762bb-7dde-4c4f-8785-2e4.jpeg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4cfbd62c-8162-4170-9463-a5d.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
That looks like flares you could create using the hdr feature in the visual tab
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Can't remember if I tried that Raxel....
I'll give it a try .... thanks Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Fusion... Wink
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Mark .....
Yes -
Fusion was the very 1st thought that came to mind ....
I had a look at Fusion's 'tools' list, and did some googling for a 'Fusion method' to achieve this, but didn't get anywhere.
The Boris 'glint' settings allow you to select the 'threshold point' (or level) at where the 'glint highlights' are to appear.
The number of 'glint counts' (star branches) can be selected, and you can scale the 'size', plus alter the 'width' of the branches.
Probably best to 'explain' with pictures ....

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad04c748-a8d1-4310-bcea-6a8b.bmp

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9d05f920-6ed0-47d3-8897-b2cf.png

Actually - to get the result above, I found I needed to 'isolate' the highlights first.
I did that in Fusion with the following 'wiring' lol Smile, - my 1st Fusion project ! (see pic below).
I then imported this alpha png sequence (it's a moving camera)
 into Vegas Movie Studio as another 'layer' directly 'above' it's original, (but 'under' the avatar track of course).
It was this layer I applied the glint to. - Seemed to give a sharper, more defined result, - because using glint on the original layer of these lights, gave in a 'blurry' and less defined look. Plus it added unwanted glint to the 'body' (casing) of the lights, so looked 'unnatural'....

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8aec7b6c-e0af-4d47-9fff-6648.png

Edit:
So apart from the 'how to' of producing a glint effect, something else has occurred to me.....
If you create a scene with both:
●1. 'glint' (for a 'star burst' look) and,
●2. 'De-focus' (for a 'dof Bokeh' look)....
then which should come first in your 'order' of FX?
#A Do you apply a glint and then de-focus?
#B Do you de-focus first and then apply the glint?
So which way around would it occur in the 'real world'?

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Great to see you're "having a go" with Fusion - your idea to hone in on the brightness with a luma keyer is proof you 'get it' more than you may think!  The "glint" effect in Fusion is called "hilight".  It doesn't offer as many features (in the one plugin) as Boris does, but has the necessary "threshold" and "point count" parameters.  Remember, easy way to find nodes is to hold down "ctrl+spacebar" to open search.  Also, you pointed out a problem that all "threshold" based effects have in common - glows or glints appearing on 'bright things' in the scene that you don't want... this is where the power of "masking" comes in - not surprisingly, Fusion's masking is as good as it gets!
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Mark .... Smile
As you've no doubt discerned, I'm using the *familiar territory* of a Vegas style NLE in combination with the new and exciting 'Node' approach of Fusion (new for me at least).
This alleviates the 'either'-'or' dilemma of 'choosing' which one to go with. I can be at home (productive) with 'layers', and still experiment with Fusion's 'nodes', (exporting the results across to Vegas). It's a perfect solution really - especially given that Fusion is totally 'free'.
So now I'll play around with 'hilight' in fusion ....  thnx for the heads up on that Mark ... Smile

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7

Reading This Topic