Not impressive so far

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Okay, so I had a bit of a chance today to play with Motion LIVE and so far I would call it Motion DEAD.

First trouble -- Faceware doesn't work with it (at least *I* can't get it to work).  I've filled out a trouble ticket.

Second, the miserable performance, at least in desktop mode. of the Leap controller.  This may well be user error, but using the Leap visualizer it looks like it's working just fine.  In iClone it's a whole other matter, with jittery tracking and (worse) uneven tracking.  I never could get my hands/arms to line up together, and the fingers of one hand look misshapen and bent.

Here's a video showing my efforts so far -- I am going to try it head mounted (it's not what I want, and I will have to improvise some sort of head mount, but perhaps it will be better that way.  It can't possibly be any worse).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I was thinking about bying this piece of hardware. But it's translation to iClone seems not very good, judging from what I've seen in your video. So I'll wait to see if other users come wit hsome results ...
Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Many thanks for sharing!...
That really is quite odd. I wonder if the developers might be able to spot the problem/oversight... assuming there is one? Smile 

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Hi KT,

Sorry to hear you are having some problems with the new Motion Live. Obviously this is not correct so we do need to check what is happening with your particular setup.

If you have already contacted Support, then they should be able to help you get this working correctly. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Kellytoons,

I had the same problem with Faceware but noticed that there are two options in the Facial gear:
1-Faceware live which doesn't work for me
2-Faceware Realtime (auto) this is the one yopu need to select to have faceware working

The leap motion works fine for me except that the trial mode doesn't allow me to record. So I can't post anything.   Sometime everything stop working and I have to quit and restart Iclone.  I don't have much time today but I will make a test with the perception neuron tomorrow.

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Peter,

I've contacted support about the Faceware Live problem, but so far no answers other than to follow the directions (which I did).  I have created a video showing exactly the issue and provided it -- perhaps we'll get a better answer then.

Jfrog, Yeah, I know, I'm using it correctly, it just doesn't work.

And back to Peter -- the issues about the Leap not working I don't think are fixable.  The Leap controller IS working properly, it's just that iClone doesn't handle it well.  It looks to me *exactly* the same sort of poor performance we got out of RL's Kinect Plug-in (which had some great demo videos showing how well it worked, except it never did).  I think under some VERY specific and controlled conditions it may work adequately, but I also don't think it can do what it shows (note that in the demos it controls the "android" character and not a human one -- I think this is part of the issue, as I don't think the human limbs deform in the same manner).

I have not submitted a trouble ticket about the Leap issues because, well, what would I be saying?  That it doesn't track well?  I think RL knows that.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
ToKoMotion
ToKoMotion
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Hi Mike. I saw your second video regarding this issue on YouTube and just wanted to add my comment here as well:

I think you should move/rotate the forearms of the Droid/CC character to the same direction as your forearms are - means they should be bend 90 degrees and point forward. Maybe it needs to be aligned properly to work correctly. If the arms of the characters have another direction than your arms (e.g. if they are already animated) try just working with the Hand/Fingers MoCap.

As said I haven't tried myself and I might be wrong, but there should be a way to fix this. Will share my first test results soon. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/43a4ac7b-bd85-430a-aa3e-e3f7.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9cbb0370-ee1b-4f58-9b3d-6930.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e84e0ec9-aa91-47d0-ae07-d519.png
FIND MORE:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/17a1d227-c563-4ece-a41a-257a.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

My first video had the arms of the (human) character rotated in this fashion without any better success.

However, I just read something Shane posted in another topic here and I think he's hit upon the issue: when you first press the spacebar, either to preview or record, one of your arms is going to be misaligned with the other.  That delta is then applied to the process, so the arms can never be properly aligned (nor record motions accurately).

The only way I can see to solve this is for there to be a countdown, even just two seconds, before it starts the capture (in either preview or record).  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the only testing was done with this with the Leap controller in FRONT of the keyboard (not an option for me), where someone can keep both of their arms positioned in the same way and press the spacebar.  (This, BTW, points out again how very shitty RL's beta process is.  I would have found this issue within a day or so of testing.  Why they feel they have to do all their beta testing in-house is very, very puzzling and disturbing).

So for now I think it's basically only usable if you capture only the fingers and hands (or perhaps a head mounted display, since then you are looking down at the arms and they can remain positioned "properly" when the spacebar is pressed.  I'm just not that into a head mounted approach, although if other folks report more success with it I'll bite the bullet and do it.  Sigh).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Since I started this it's only fair I add a video showing it working with both Faceware and Leap (thanks to Peter).

I still think (and will continue to voice) the big issue here is that there isn't any way to press the spacebar for preview/record without moving at least one arm out of the "calibrate" position.  Either they should have had a countdown or perhaps some sort of "calibrate" button that allows them to freeze the arms where they would normally be (and then you can place them back there?  No, I think the countdown is better).  It results in uneven arms unless you are very, very, VERY careful (or I'm just uncoordinated -- but it shouldn't be that tough to make this work right.  I blame beta, of course, as this should have shown up in the first day of testing).

A head-mounted rig might solve all this -- your arms can stay in the right space even as you press a spacebar -- but it's not really something I want (but I'll go there if I have to do so).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
argus1000
argus1000
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
I'm glad Kellytoons got it working after 3 videos, because I ordered and bought a Leap Controller from Amazon after the release of Motion LIVE, and before those tests (I haven't received it yet.), and I don't want my money going down the drain, thank you very  much.

My latest movie THE GOLDEN MAN, and a few othershttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIl1EqVCKitZzLqaNnLK0BA
Edited
6 Years Ago by argus1000

Reading This Topic