Profile Picture

Will Charcater Creator 3 replace Daz entirely in your pipeline ??

Posted By AutoDidact 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Will Charcater Creator 3 replace Daz entirely in your pipeline ??

Author
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi 
As the title says,
if you are using Daz genesis models for final renders via retargeting,FBX etc
Do you think the new Character Creator 3 will Enable you to dump Daz genesis completey??

Thoughts ..opinions?

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

I think they need the DS clothing and the sets much more than they need the characters.

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
No. The amount of Daz content and the fact there is new stuff everyday, on discount and the freebies means I will continue using daz for a long while.

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I’ve been wondering this myself after seeing the great CC3 video recently. Daz has 3 main qualities.

1. Price. This can be nullified by the sometimes time consuming import process but once that learning curve is behind you, WOOOW. Daz prices, even with recent price hikes, are the among the best in the world for the level of content they offer.

2. Library size. I don’t need to talk much about this. New high quality content daily... daily. Reallusion won’t match that soon. Clothes are importable in CC3 so we’ll see what happens.

3. Quality. Iclone content has come a very long way and looks great now, but Daz characters, clothing, props and sets are of an amazing quality once you learn how to import them properly. IMO their characters look a little bit better than Iclone characters right now and tend to be just a little bit less cartoony. I personally love the Genesis aesthetic.

For me, CC is more likely to become a part of my tool bag (which it currently isn’t) but not replace Daz entirely.

Price and library size are the deciding factors for me.
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

I am a Daz content developer for myself( not a daz merchant) 
thus I dont buy Daz clothing anymore.
I agree that the RL CC Avatars are still not quite
at the level of a Daz genesis model however I Dont
render finals in Daz studio or Iclone.
So being able to just animate in Iclone and export FBX or Alembic to My  final render apps ( Maxon C4D & Lightwave 3D) is an attractive option.

I like that the dumb, brute force path tracer( IRay) is a separate purchase and not included with CC3.

And I have the Modeling skills to Make my own Iclone clothing content  so I shall have to wait and see how
much CC3 will cost. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

You didn't ask the question of someone like me (who does and will do all his final renders in iClone) but from my perspective the problem with using Daz characters is the inability to "redress" them (without going through the entire import process again).  The beauty of CC (regardless of what version 3 brings to the table) is I can use all of Daz clothing inside of it, and thus any character I create I can easily recostume just by bringing them back into CC (so a few minutes versions a much longer Daz export/iClone import process).

To me the only time I'd actually import a Daz character is if it's standalone -- a robot, or monster or perhaps a red shirt (you know, the kind of background guy you'll be killing off soon :>Wink.  But, as I said, I'm not who you asked the question of, just wanted to put my two cents in here because I think even reoutfitting a character in Daz is a PITA compared to CC.

I also have more Daz content, both clothing and sets, than I could ever use in my lifetime (limited as it might be).  But I'm writing python routines to make the import much easier.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (5/28/2018)
You didn't ask the question of someone like me (who does and will do all his final renders in iClone) but from my perspective the problem with using Daz characters is the inability to "redress" them (without going through the entire import process again).  The beauty of CC (regardless of what version 3 brings to the table) is I can use all of Daz clothing inside of it, and thus any character I create I can easily recostume just by bringing them back into CC (so a few minutes versions a much longer Daz export/iClone import process).

To me the only time I'd actually import a Daz character is if it's standalone -- a robot, or monster or perhaps a red shirt (you know, the kind of background guy you'll be killing off soon :>Wink.  But, as I said, I'm not who you asked the question of, just wanted to put my two cents in here because I think even reoutfitting a character in Daz is a PITA compared to CC.

I also have more Daz content, both clothing and sets, than I could ever use in my lifetime (limited as it might be).  But I'm writing python routines to make the import much easier.

Hi
I May not have been addressing users with your pipeline
however your comments are quite welcome and useful good sir.
Can describe briefly how one would use an article of Daz clothing on a CC character???.
I ask as a person who already models  my own unique ,one off  Daz  genesis 1,2,3,8 clothing.
 I would find any info ,on this matter, helpful for my possi future  transition to an all CC/Iclone to C4D or Lightwave  based filmaking pipeline.

Ghost Origins

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

There are a TON of tutorials on bringing Daz clothing into iClone (including the three or four I've done).  Here's one:

But I've since improved my workflow and subsequent videos show this (so if you are at all interested either look for others on the web or my channel).

Now -- CC3 supposedly will speed even *this* process up (although it takes me less than five minutes to bring in AND physics weight nearly any Daz item).  What is shown will allow the OBJ to be directly imported (I'll still be first bringing it into Blender to use my Consolidate Materials script, which is even better now that it imports roughness and metallic maps).  So when that happens a whole lot of folks will be using Daz clothing in CC that aren't currently now (although no one should be afraid of doing it now - the only *real* problem right now is with "rigid" things, like armor plates, which CC can't really handle properly).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
VirtualMedia
VirtualMedia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Great question, certainly a wait and play. The posts above regarding quality and price of Daz products were well said.

Competition and compatibility would be king for RL, Daz and 3D Artists with them trying to stay on top of their game and competitive on price. A hard drive of DAZ models with DS animation limitations and forever renders lead me to RL, then RL's lower quality and pricey content lead me back to DAZ. Made this round-trip several times over the last several years.

CC3 Looks very promising, if RL gets us closer to DS than Second Life characters, with GoZ, clothing weight-maps and fits as implied, CC3 will be the 'Character Creator' and Daz will likely be a place to get clothing..in my studio.

It's a great time to be in the 3D character design and animation business.

Virtual Media® / VTV® / The Virtual Entertainment Network...
http://VTVLive.com
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I am tentatively looking for a possible way forward to streamline my current pipeline after I finsh this current feature length Marvel comics based Fan film  animated in Iclone, retargeted to Daz genesis via Custom BVH from 3DX and exported to Maxon C4D via MDD point cache for rendering and comping with After  Effects.
with some occasional endorphin for ragdoll physics.

I am still using the Old mimic pro 3 for lipsynch Via a Cr2 
exported for Genesis 2.
None of the new lipsynch options in Daz studio have a phoneme
post editor Like Iclone or as old Mimic pro3 studio does

since I acquired the modeling skills to make my own clothing 
the only thing keeping me with Daz studio is the quality 
and diversity of the genesis models particualry the older G1-2 generations for sci fi /Alien types of creatures.

However it is good to see potentially viable alternatives 
on the horizon

At any rate, its good to see RL Appears to be challenging Daz head on with the CC Avatars instead of merely updating the Auto Characterization templates in 3DX to recognize every new Genesis release.

Daz Needs some serious competition in the prefab Character market now that  the decrepid  poser is essentially a Dead program on full life support from Smith micro.

Ghost Origins

Reading This Topic